35

JOSETTE LAUGHLIN'S EYES WIDENED as she turned to her daughters, "what?"

"Jaxon is Hades's offspring," Lizzie clarified, "his mother was a werewolf alpha, his father's Hades making him a god and a werewolf as well."

"Why did Caroline..." Josette trailed off, looking at Jaxon expectantly. "Why did Caroline adopt me?" He asked to which the woman nod as he replied, "well... She found me, took me in because she's oh so nice."

"That's... good." Josette looked away awkwardly while Alaric cleared his throat, looking at Jaxon, "is she telling the truth?"

"About what?" He asked to which Alaric replied, "about who she really is... Is she really her?"

Jaxon tilted his head to the side as he stared at the woman for a good ten seconds, staring right into her eyes as he analyzed her features. "Yeah," he nodded, looking at Alaric, "yeah, that's really her although... There is something... I don't know— off."

"What thing?" Alaric was quick to ask, eyes flickering back and forth between his supposed to be dead wife and Jaxon who shrugged, "that's the thing. I don't know, I can't tell."

"It's really me..." Josette said, "I swear."

"I'd suggest using your little ball to find out." Jaxon suggested to Alaric making his eyes widen as he stared at Jaxon in shock while the twins stifle a laugh and Josette's cheeks became red in embarrassment.

"What is wrong with you?" Alaric asked, looking at Jaxon which his cheeks slightly flushed.

"What did I do?" Jaxon frowned in confusion, "I just offered you a solution. Use that little ball of yours—"

"—That's enough." Alaric cut him off, shaking his head. "This is a serious situation."

"I'm being serious." Jaxon rolled his eyes just as he noticed the looks on the other's faces. "Why are you guys looking so..." He trailed off, eyes widening in realisation at his words, "ohFucking hell. That's not what I meant!"

"Then what did you mean?" Alaric asked, his face still red. And at that, Jaxon broke into a fit of laughter making the twins laugh at well, neither of them able to hold in. "I—" He spoke once he caught his breath, "—I meant that magic ball you use to find out whether people are saying the truth or lying! Fucking hell, Ric."

"Oh." Alaric muttered, clearing his throat awkwardly, "okay... yeah that's actually a good idea. Let's... Let's do it."

**

While Alaric was dealing with his dead ex soon–to–would–have–been wife, Jaxon had left his office. His eyes caught sight of Penelope who was dealing with some sort of boxes so he made his way towards her, having nothing better to do.

"What you did back there was absolutely evil of you," he said making Penelope look at him, her brows raised with a smirk tugging at her lips, "yeah, you loved it."

"I did," he muttered with a frown, "because it's evil— I can't help myself." Penelope patted his shoulders in a fake comforting gesture, "oh, I know which is what makes me want to do it all over again."

"You're lucky I respect women," MG's voice made the two turn around, "and that I shun all forms of toxic masculinity, or else you and I would be throwing down right now. Even if you can kick my ass."

"Dude, I am here to help." Penelope assured making the vampire raise his brows, "By telling Lizzie and Josie that their mom isn't coming?"

"Oh, that was just for Lizzie," penelope said before adding, "who is taking Rafael as her date instead of you. So why are you doing all this to try and make her party perfect?"

"Cause a man's got to shoot his shot," MG's response made Jaxon and Penelope exchange a look.

"Yeah— no. That's pathetic as fuck." Jaxon said earning a nod of agreement from Penelope, "He's right. Oh my God. No. I can't take it anymore. As your friend, I demand that you retrieve your little MGs from Lizzie's grip."

"Not when I can taste victory." MG shook his head making both Jaxon and Penelope sigh, "Fine. I'll make you a deal."

MG narrowed his eyes as Jaxon spoke up, "we will keep werewolf guy away from the party long enough for you to shoot your one, final, inevitably failed shit."

Penelope nodded as she add, "and when it's over, and the Queen of Mean has broken your heart all over again, promise me that you will let Lizzie go."

MG's eyes flickered between the two back and forth until he let out a breath, nodding to their 'deal'.

"You deal with Rafael," Jaxon said to Penelope as he began to walk away, "I've got stuff to do."

"Wow, what a teamwork." Penelope muttered sarcastically as she stared at Jaxon's retreating figure.