44

“CAN I HELP YOU?” Ryan Clarke asked as he made his way towards Jaxon, Alaric and Hope. Jaxon narrowed his eyes on the man, instantly sensing that he was Supernatural.

"Yeah, I hope so." Alaric stuffed his hands inside his pockets, looking behind the man, "say, what's going on here?"

"Gas leak," Ryan responded, "don't worry though we have it under control. You wouldn't happen to know who lives here, would you?" He asked, "we tried knocking but no one's home."

"Um, we're looking for—" Hope was instantly cut off by Jaxon, "—the highway."

Alaric looked at Jaxon who shot him a look, telling him to play along. "Yeah, see we're lost and we saw you guys and we thought we'd ask for directions."

"Yeah," Clarke pointed to the road, "at the end of the road, you make a right. Can't miss it."

Alaric nodded, "cool, thanks."

"All right," Alaric looked at Jaxon then at Hope, "let's go, Jessica, Alexander." Both frowned at the name but followed him to the car nonetheless. They both sat in the back this time.

"Jessica, really?" Hope raised her brows at Alaric who ignored it, "I've been part of enough cover–ups to smell one a mile away."

"Did you though?" Jaxon inquired, "smell one a mile away, I mean? Because we have r—" he was cut off by Alaric, "you know what I mean, Alexander. Now sit back and be quiet."

"Fuck off."

"Language."

"Do you think they're after Landon?" Hope asked earning a hum from Jaxon, "don't know but that guy is a supernatural. I don't know what but he is."

"Well..." Alaric began, "all I know is they wouldn't have asked about him if they had him so we gotta find him before they do."

**

After Alaric opened the locked door using some sort of Bobby pin, he entered the motel where they found out Landon was and slowly walked inside.

He froze when he felt the cold barrel of a gun pressing against his head, "uh, I'm looking for Landon Kirby."

"And who the hell are you?" Seylah asked, coming to stand in front of him with her gun still pointed in his direction.

Before Alaric could reply, the gun flew from her hands to Hope who was standing behind Alaric with Jaxon beside her. "People who care about him," Hope responded and Jaxon inwardly rolled his eyes. "So tell me where he is before I blow your head off."

Alaric placed his hands on Hope's and lowered them along with the gun. Seylah smiled, "you must be Hope."

"And you must be Landon's mother," Jaxon spoke up, narrowing his eyes at the woman before he looked behind her, "Landon, come on out now. I can feel your suffocating presence and you don't seem scared at all for someone who's been kidnapped."

Just then, Landon walked out and stood there, staring at them— at Hope, precisely, something that Jaxon didn't like.

The next thing Jaxon knew, they were all sitting and talking with Seylah, Alaric telling her about the supernatural and about the Salvatore school.

"So you're the headmaster of a private school for supernaturals." Seylah stated, then looked at Hope, "and you're the teacher's pet." Alaric who was standing near the window and looking out turned to face the others, "actually she's kind of a pain in my ass."

"A little judgy for an absentee mother," Hope commented while Seylah looked at Landon, "you were wrong. I like her." She looked at Jaxon who was busy tracing a frame on the wall, "and this is?"

"Jaxon," Landon replied, "I told you about him too."

"Ah yes, the one who is always threatening you," Seylah's brows shot up as she nodded at Landon who smiled nervously.

"You're forgetting the one time I saved your life," Jaxon looked at Landon. He was about to say something when Alaric beat him to it, "well now you know about us. All we know about you is that you gave birth to Landon. He says a monster attacked you and now there's some sort of fake gas company coming after you two. So I think it's time to start filing in some blanks."

Seylah walked over and sat down on a bed before she started, "when I finished my services in the army, I was recruited by an intelligence organization. The states sounded like a better life. I didn't know what I was signing up for, but soon I learnt that things like you two," she looked at Hope and Jaxon, "exist in this world." She then glanced at Alaric, "my job was very much like yours, to keep the supernatural world a secret. Whenever a monster went bump in the night and risked exposing the truth, I tracked it down and brought it back to headquarters."

"We're not monsters," Hope defended, stepping forward while Seylah looked at her, "you are to me."

"You're one to me too." Jaxon huffed, crossing his arms as he leaned against the wall. Seylah shot him a look but said nothing.

"This headquarters—" Alaric paused, narrowing his eyes at Seylah, "—where is it?"

"Sorry, you seem morally inclined enough to do something stupid and there's too much blood on my hands as it is," Seylah said, "a few years in, I saw something I shouldn't. I became the hunted instead of the hunter."

"Well what exactly did you see?" Jaxon inquired earning a sigh from her as she responded, "I wanted to know what was happening to the monsters. Because even though I spent all that time studying their every move, I couldn't remember them at all." The others narrowed their eyes at her as she continued, "so I started taking notes. I realized my memory was being erased. The question was; how?"

"Malivore." Alaric said making Seylah furrow her brows, "how do you know about Malivore?"

"Landon took a knife that belonged to our school's collection. Now monsters that shouldn't exist have been coming after it ever since."

"He means I stole it," Landon said, "and then, I, like... um woke it up or something. What's Malivore?"

"It's a hell dimension."