Chapter 29 Polis Part 1

Octavia POV

There it is just down the hill...Polis!
The grounder Capital city.

Looking down from the top of the hill I had to admit it looked impressive, of course, being from the Ark, I really had nothing to compare it to. I looked at Lincoln unable to contain a grin. Sensing my excitement he urged the horses forward at a trot.

Bellamy and Clarke looked just as awestruck as I was, and just as eager. I couldn't contain my laughter as my horse took off at a gallop, sensing that food and rest were near.

We had been travelling about 3 hours, having left just before dawn so that we would arrive in time for the noon meal. Lexa, had invited us to lunch with her and had promised to show us the city and help us get what we needed.

The boys were going to be on their own after lunch.

After what seemed like forever, but in reality was only a few minutes, we reached the main gate of the city. Once Lincoln showed the guards the flag of Lexa and the Tree Kru we were granted entrance to rhe city and told the Commander herself was expecting us.

I was practically shaking with excitement as we made our way thru the gates.

Clarke POV

I think my jaw dropped the moment we passed thru the gates.

Polis was nothing I had expected. It was like being transported back to a medieval village square...or seeing a movie from the Ark come to life.

I tried to commit as much as I could to memory but my fingers itched for my sketchbook as words would never do this justice.

The streets were made of cobblestone and there were people, both old and young everywhere. Livestock, carts, shops. As we made our way thru the street I was hard pressed to keep my eyes on where we were going.
The people here were not dressed all in leather and chainmail like the grounders we were familiar with. They were wearing clothing fashioned from cotton and wool, some of the women and children had ribbons woven thru their hair made of ribbon and a shiny material that was probably a form of satin or silk. This gave me hope that we might find a suitable dresses for the Wedding/Moon Festival.

It seemed a lifetime ago that I had the opportunity to dress up for a party.

We passed shops that sold or traded for anything from food, clothing or grain.

We passed a blacksmith who made swords and weapons, cooking utensils, shoes for horses, axes, tools, the list seemed endless.

We passed an apothecary cart that catered to both medicinal needs as well as cooking and hygiene.

I was completely amazed. If we had made our peace with the grounders sooner we could have traded for things to ease those first weeks on earth.

I glanced at Bellamy unable to contain the grin I knew was stretched across my face.

Bellamy's grin was just as huge as mine.

As we passed thru the center square we heard the music of wooden flutes, drums, and a string instrument similar to a guitar but a little more primitive. Remembering Kane's guitar skills I knew he would appreciate this.

Once we reached the other side of the square, Lincoln led us to a stable and dismounted, signalling us to do the same. We all grabbed our packs and waited for Lincoln to give instructions to care for our horses. Lincoln then led us into Lexa's dwelling which felt more like a small castle.

We were met by Dante and Kaia. They greeted us with a smile and showed us to our rooms to freshen up.

"Please join us in the main hall once you have had a chance to refresh from your journey." He said cordially.

Bellamy POV

Once Clarke and I entered our room I was impressed all over again.

There was a real bed with four posts, curtains for privacy a feather mattress and blankets made of material in rich colors. There was an animal skin rug on the floor and a table with chairs against the wall with some fruit and wine. A basin for washing.

There was a small side room that served as a bathing area.

We washed quickly, and met Lincoln and Octavia across the hall on our way to meet Lexa.

"Bell, this is amazing! " Clarke said grabbing my hand with a smile.

"We should have taken this trip sooner huh princess?" I whispered. She nodded fervently.

We walkef into the dining area and Lexa greeted us with the standard grounder greeting.

"Come, sit. You are welcome Sky Kru." She said greeting Clarke and I. Once greetings were exchanged all around we sat around the wooden table and Lexa waved her hand at ther serving girls indicating that they should start bringing in the food.

My eyes widened as they brought in roast chicken, potatoes, bread.

I had only ever seen bread in movies on the Ark. I felt like I was a Phonecian.

There was also wine, water, vegetables and fruit. My mouth was watering.

Lexa waited until our appetites slowed down before speaking.

"Congratulations to you on your official joining. Our people believe it to be good luck if done at one of the festivals. This one is particularly special. "

"Why?" Clarke and Octavia asked in unison.

"Because this is a blue moon and it only happens once every four years. It is beautiful, you will see at the festival. " Lexa smiles.

As the serving girls clear the table. Dante rises and motions for Lincoln and I to follow him. "Come, I want to show you the village." He glances at Lexa and lifts her hand in both of his and kisses it before touching it to his forehead in a grounder farewell for mates. "Be well my Love" he says before leading us out.

Clarke POV

Lexa watches him go snd turns to us only after the men have gone.

"Kaia," she turns to her daughter, "you should return to your training. I will see you later"

Kaia's face falls but she listens to her mother and leaves, with a nod to both of us.

"Now" says Lexa with a smile we are not used to seeing, "Lets discuss marriage plans!"

A/N

Sorry for the long chapter without many of the characters speaking, but I wanted to give a good description of what I think Polis would be like! Think the White Queen era...

I hope I gave you a clear vision of the city.

Thx for reading and commenting!

♥♥♥