18. The Wedding Guest

Start from the beginning

I run another soothing hand on her cheek, snuggling her close to my body until she settles. "You don't care that Mum and Dad are married do you?" I ask, obviously not expecting much of a response as she begins to yap away in incoherent sentences. She's barely eight months old, it's hardly going to be a day she remembers. "You just want some peace and quiet." I hum in understanding watching as she fights a wave of sleep. Her eyes keep on flitting closed for a second longer than they should.

"She looks exhausted." Lilly notes, reaching for Mila's hand and giving it a soft stroke. I rock her body side to side gently trying to encourage her eyes to flutter closed. Eventually, they droop softly as I run a finger down her small nose.

"I feel that." I hum. As excited as I am about Oliver's wedding today, I'm also slightly exhausted. Probably not my best decision to choose to fly back from Monaco last night, the day before the wedding. Our flight was delayed by about 3 hours, and it meant that I didn't get home until 2am. I couldn't sleep, spending the whole night tossing and turning in bed. Then, I've been up since 8 getting dressed for today's events - and helping to take care of Mila. Hence why Lilly and I are sat downing espresso martinis in an effort to reinvigorate ourselves for the party.

So far, it's not going the best.

"Do you know what your going to say?" Lilly asks and I shake my head.

The reason I couldn't get to sleep last night was because at the last minute Oliver had sprung on me that he wanted me to make a speech. If it wasn't two in the morning and I wasn't dead on my feet I would've shouted at him and refused to do it. But it was, and he pulled the wedding card of 'I'm only getting married once Ambs'. So here I am, with some scrappy notes thrown together in my iPhone and the beginnings of a panic attack each time I think about it.

They've been planning this day for well over a year, Ollie most certainly could've gave me more than 13 hours notice that he was expecting me to speak. Even if it was 'nothing huge'. He says he thought he asked me until Mum pointed out that I definitely had no idea about it. I roll my eyes at the thought.

I know exactly how the responsibility fell to me. Dad would have been complaining to Oliver that he 'hates public speaking', not understanding that nobody loves it, until it was easier that he just didn't do it. Mum has spent half the day drying her eyes (as expected) which put her out of the equation straight away. Flo would just die and Lando would just laugh through the whole thing nervously. He'd also probably spill some of Oliver's more embarrassing stories, so here I was. The only Norris left capable of delivering 'a few words' in front of around 150 people at Oliver's wedding.

It's thrilling stuff.

When I look back down to Mila she's fast asleep despite the bustling room around us. I stop rocking her against me. She snuggled into me further setting in the stillness and I swear I can feel my heart ache with the action. Being an aunt is just the best job I've ever had.

With Mila safely taken care of in my arms, Mum was able to usher everyone into the room where the rest of the day would be taking place. I follow the crowd, trailing slightly behind because of the precious cargo in my arms. White and Navy accents line the room and a soft music track plays in the background as people file in. It's beautiful in a simple way and I can only admire all the effort which has been put into the event. There are small favours, disposable cameras and personalised name cards for each guest. No wonder Mum has been running around like a mad woman trying to put the finishing touches all together, it's all perfect.

Our whole family is sat on a large round table, Lilly to my right, Mum to my Left. Everyone claps and cheers when the new Mr & Mrs Norris make their entrance to the room taking their place, alone, together at a top table to whisper and grin at each other. Lando, Mum and I take turns rocking Mila softly as we drink and eat the food handed out. She remains unaware of the commotion around her or the significance of it all.