27 | a large shadow

Start from the beginning

"Ten minutes," I called out as I dragged myself out of the tub and drained the water. I grabbed a towel and sat on a stool as I dried myself off. Yesterday, I fell while trying to rub myself dry while standing up and learned my lesson. I wasn't strong enough.

Yet. I reminded myself. In this aspect, I was as impatient as Apollo to walk and run freely on my own - without any limits and the damn wheelchair.

Although I'll admit that it can be fun to ride around on sometimes.

To be honest, I was feeling like my process had been declining, rather than improving with another passing day. My legs became exhausted and gave up on myself more often than before. The pain was increasing but I brushed it off. I was accustomed to pain and it was part of my normal. This kind of pain was nothing compared to the one I was in less than three months ago.

The utmost concern to me was the fact I wasn't getting better at walking. I wanted to talk to one of the brothers but I had a feeling they'd make me stay in my wheelchair at all times. I did not want that.

"Ariana?" Apollo's tone was even more impatient as I pulled on the last piece of my clothing. I was dressed in my usual comfy style - an oversized hoodie, sweatpants, and fluffy socks. Due to me being severely malnourished, I was sensitive to the temperature.

The brothers try to ensure I was warm at all times which made my heart smile a bit. I was used to the cold of four winters, down in the basement with no shed from the bitter weather. It was a surprise that I had persisted in each one of them but it was a nice change - to be warm at all times.

I turned the doorknob to reveal Apollo leaning slightly on the door frame. "Ah!" He said. "Finally!"

I scowled at him and crossed my arms.

He raised his brows as soon he saw my obvious frustration but he said nothing. I conveyed that as I don't ask you any questions, you don't either.

I had been a bit merciless when it came to my questions about his mysterious and strange behavior yesterday until I finally lost the energy. I figured out I would never get the answers I wanted so there was no point in wasting my time with endless pointless inquires.

Apollo sighed and it was as if the moody and grumpy aura suddenly deflated from him like a balloon. Sadness and exhaustion replaced it and my brows furrowed. What's going on here?

"I know I was acting a little irritating for a while. I'm sorry." Apollo said, shuffling on his feet nervously. "I didn't think about how you'd feel about it. Jesus, you probably won't hang with me out willing later! You probably think I'm an ass. Which I am but-"

I put a hand on his arm to soothe him and his overthinking. I smiled, amused.

"We all have our bad days, Apollo," I said and saw him visibly relax. I added in jest, "It's not like you're acting like Ares."

Apollo chuckled. "I guess you finally caught up on his asshole-ness, huh?"

I nodded, still smiling amusingly.

"Okay, we should go to bed. It's getting late."

"It's only ten."

"Which is a bedtime for a kiddo like you." He flicked my nose when I failed to pull away on time.

"I'm not a kid," I muttered as I got myself under the covers on the bed.

"Sure you're not." Apollo laughed as he pulled up the blanket and tucked the ends under my chin. "Goodnight, Ariana." He said as he kissed my forehead.

I fell asleep thinking how it was nice to have someone to tuck me in and say goodnight again.

P E R D I T A