54) Best Head In The Game

LUKE HEMMINGS

"Hemmings, can I see you for a minute?" My coach asks as soon as we get ready to head out onto the field after lifting weights. I finish putting my weights up and make my way towards him, a slight limp in my step as I do so. His eyes drag down to my injured leg for a moment as I shift my weight to my healthy leg.

"What's up?"

He clears his throat, scratching his chin in thought. "I've been meaning to talk with you for a while about the leagues outside of college ball."

"Yeah?" I raise my eyebrows in surprise, wondering where he's going with this.

Coach nods, crossing his arms over his chest and moving his legs to a wider, more confident stance. "Scouts have been up my ass for months, asking for footage of your best games and trying to get more information on you." I swallow harshly, immediately knowing where this conversation was going. "They want you to play professionally, son. I believe you can, but you'd have to prove yourself in an overseas league first."

"Overseas?"

He sighs, nodding his head towards the doors of the weight room, "walk with me." I do so, walking beside him as he starts speaking again. "I've talked to Pete Carroll about you considering they're local and I believe you have what it takes to be on his team."

If there's anything I have in common with my dad, it's our favorite football team, which is coached by Pete Carroll, "you believe I can play for the Seattle Seahawks?" I ask, laughing slightly. "I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound like-"

"I know it sounds crazy right now, but I could have you at tryouts for the Seahawks by the age of twenty-five if you play overseas."

My eyes widen and I stop walking to stressfully run a hand through my hair, "how do I do that?"

"At our conference game, there'll be scouts there for the overseas league, looking for future NFL advocates. Play well and you'll get that spot." My eyes subconsciously flicker to the medical tape around my knee, and he sighs again. "I know your knee has been bothering you lately, and they know that too. You'll still be signed on an overseas team in order to start training over the summer, but just try your best on Friday, alright?"

I nod sternly, allowing my eyes to fixate on the floor, "so I have until then to decide what I want to do?"

He shakes his head, "January 5th is the deadline for signups. I hope that you make the right decision. You have a lot of potential." I nod once more, taking his words into deep consideration.

What the actual fuck am I going to do?

"I'll let you know."

"Good, now get out there on the field. Try not to hurt yourself."

*

I found myself sitting on the balcony of my room with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and a bottle of tequila in my lap. Ever since the talk with my coach, I've been stuck in my head.

I mean, what was I supposed to do?

Disappoint my parents along with ruining the relationship I have with them by following my dreams? Or play overseas in order to play on my favorite NFL team within the next five years and make my family proud of me? I wouldn't be happy, but at least my dad would finally see me as a person.

There's only one person that would help me organize my thoughts at this moment, and that's my best friend and girlfriend. With a long exhale, I stood from my seated position on the balcony and pushed open the door to get to my phone that laid on the bedside table.