32) Yes, I was a piece of shit

LUKE HEMMINGS

I stumbled into the fraternity with a stupid grin on my face. The memories of the night flooded my brain constantly, and I couldn't make them stop. I was convinced her bright smile and pretty face were nailed into my head for eternity. How perfect her hand fit in mine when I held it through the festival, and the way she kissed me. Everything about Ellie made me dizzy.

"Who's got you smiling like that?" A voice broke me of my dazed thoughts. My eyes flicked up to the top of the stairs where Calum stood with a head of messy hair and bruises on his neck. As usual.

I cocked my head to the side, sinking my hands in my pockets. "Who do you think?"

A smile grew on his face as I made my way up the steps. "You dirty dog," he says, clapping a hand on my back. "What'd you guys do?"

"I took her out on a date." His eyes widened at this, the look of mischief leaving him.

"Wow, man. I never thought I'd see the day."

"Your turn," I joke, nudging him with my elbow.

Calum rolls his eyes. "Yeah right."

An onset of tiredness struck me as I walked towards my door. "I'll catch you tomorrow."

"G'night, mate."

I shut my bedroom door behind me as soon as I made it inside and the first thing, I did was take out my phone. Swiping right on the screen, I opened the text messages between Ellie and me just to begin typing.

I can't stop thinking about you

No, that sounds too clingy. I chewed my bottom lip, deleting the words before taking a different approach.

I miss you, pretty girl

"Fuck," I mumbled, deleting those words as well. Just when I was about to type something else, her name flashed at the top of the screen. Curious, I hesitantly pressed the answer button and held the phone to my ear.

"Luke Hemmings," her voice rang through the speaker in an accusing tone. "Why have you been typing for the past five minutes?"

Shit.

I decide to play it safe, kicking off my shoes to get ready for bed. "Couldn't think of the right thing to say to you."

She giggles tiredly on the other end. "You don't have to say anything."

"I wanted to."

"You gave me a good night, Luke. You don't owe me anything." At her words, I feel relief run through my body. She's such an easy-going person.

I want to be around her all the time; be able to constantly hold her hand and kiss her.

"Meet me at the café on campus at 9."

I could practically feel her smile through the phone as she spoke, "okay. I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"

Though the call seemed as though it were ending, I didn't want it to. "What's your favorite color?"

"Uh, baby pink or baby blue. I can't choose." I placed the phone on speaker and set it on my dresser as I changed out of my clothes from the night. "What about you?"

"I like blue. What about..." I thought for a moment as I dropped my clothes into the laundry hamper. "Your favorite animal?"

Ellie laughed, "Luke."

"Yeah?" I turned off the bedside lamp, crawling under the covers.

"You should get some rest. I'll be at the café at 9."