25. The Daily Prophet

September rolled through, producing no want of an apology nor any word at all from Justin but a slight die down of the awkward or loathful looks in the corridor from the Ravenclaws. Persie had made her way back over to the Defence Against the Dark Arts corridors on the left part of the castle, unfortunately close to the Slytherin Common Room in the dungeons. Persie sighed, sitting on the bench opposite the classroom, pulling a random book from her bag, watching it fall open on her crossed legs. It took her several minutes to realise it was actually The Dark Arts: A Rise, which was rather fitting for the situation of the days classes. Charms, Transfiguration, Double Defence Against the Dark Arts and Arithmancy.

After five minutes, she looked up, realising the corridor in front of her had cleared entirely of students, making her furrow her eyebrows in confusion as she walked to one end of the corridor, looking to find the adjacent one empty as well.

She continued towards the Common Room, trying to find anyone at all, before she noticed a crowd of people outside of the library around a certain person, possibly Professor McGonagall with a red head attempting to see over the gathering crowd.

"Lily, what's going on?" Persie asked, joining her at the back of the crowd as she attempted to see what was going on at the centre.

"They've been pulling people out of breakfast and lessons all morning, have you not noticed?" Lily replied, pulling a surprised face, before a small Hufflepuff first year appeared beside them, waving a copy of the Daily Prophet high above his curly blonde head, "It's the Prophet! Have you not seen? There's been an attack at the Ministry!" He cried, silencing around fifty students, some almost twice his height suddenly with his outburst as McGonagall pushed through everybody, elbowing her way between two fifth year Slytherins as she reached and snatched the paper away from him, her face softening slightly when she eyed Persie watching, and waiting.

"With me, Miss Potter." McGonagall stated, somewhat solemnly as she strode with purpose back down the corridor as Persie gave Lily one last confused look before taking off after her, feeling everybody's eyes on her back.

"It's my mum, isn't it?" She asked, as soon as they turned the corner to Dumbledore's office, the statue guarding the stairs jumping aside at once and the professor shouted liquorice twists whilst still walking. She took the lack of answer as bad news, but nevertheless, kept a straight face as they entered the head master's office to find several students and siblings sat around the lower parts, gathered in family and house groups.

The two Finch brothers, looking extremely pale as they stood in their yellow badged robes staring into the fire. Evan Rossier sat on the sofa with his younger sister, Kyla both in Slytherin, chatting less than worriedly to Jenna Abbott, who looked ever so slightly worse than them.

"Pers-" James started as Persie noticed him stood with Sirius, admiring the ornate substances floating around a cabinet behind them.

"Don't even start trying to make up shit with me. You tell me what's happened. Now." She whispered harshly, stamping her foot down slightly on her last word as a woosh from the fireplace, made her spin around, to come face to face with Kingsley Shacklebolt, Frank Longbottom and Alastor Moody.

Persie knew all of them, of course, Frank being only a few years older than herself, but Alastor was the one she knew on a more personal level. Her mother was his apprentice when he was younger, but he'd aged about twenty years since then.

He gave them each a grim look before he, and the others, were summoned up the stairs to Dumbledore's desk as they started speaking in hushed whispers.

"Alastor." Persie tried, watching as his lips stayed silent for a second before talking again.

"Frank." She tried again, a little louder this time, as he just stood and took in everything each of them were saying.