(122) Just friends

TW ⚠️
Homophobic Slurs
Mentions of rape

"Was relaxing for a couple of days really so difficult?" Polly questions, walking into her nieces office, a folder beneath her arm.

"Yes." Madison replies, "having nothing to occupy my mind means I am not distracted from other things, hence my mind wonders."

"Wonders to where?" Polly inquires, sitting opposite Madi.

"Dark places." Madison answers, "but that's not what you're here to talk about. So how may I help you?"

"As you know Tommy has decided to run for parliament." Polly states, and Madi scoffs, "it's a stupid idea, you can see that right?"

"Well we've compiled many reasons as to why it's not so stupid, and we'd like for you to at least look at them." Polly says, sliding the folder across the desk.

"My mind isn't going to be swayed." Madison responds, "so going through the trouble of listing the reasons was a waste of time."

"Why won't it be swayed?" Polly asks.

"As a politicians sister, I'd be in the spotlight as much as Tommy is." Madison says, "I don't want to be. Not again. Everything we do, every move we make would be publicised."

"They'll bring the past up. Do you even understand how hard it was for Chloe seeing them write that stuff about me?" Madison questions, "how hard it was for me to look her in the eye in case she thought the same as the fucking papers?"

"And this might not have even crossed your minds, but we're still two women married. That's fucking illegal." Madison says, "I will not have Chloe put at risk because Tommy fancies himself a game of politics."

"Hugo has killed someone. Ash almost died. I won't have Chloe put in one of those positions, because we all know that people would come after us for this, and it wouldn't matter what our surname was." Madison states.

"Mads-"

"No, you don't get it Polly." Madison says, forcing her voice to stay calm, "you wouldn't have crowds of people outside your house, claiming your diseased, trying to fucking burn you alive, calling you a dyke, a faggot, a homo."

"Did you know a lesbian couple got raped the other day? Some men were trying to prove that their bodies reacted better to them than to eachother, because they were sinning and no pleasure can come from sinning." Madison spits out, "the men then stabbed them to death."

"I want to stay out of the fucking spotlight, I will not bring this unto my family. Because it will come, I'm proud of who I am, I won't hide it. We shouldn't have to." Madison says, "but when it comes out nationally, the shit Chloe and I will have to face- hell you might have to face it for not disowning me. It's more than just Birmingham knowing they're fucking scared of us, people whose hatred is so strong they'll come for us."

"This is bigger than fucking politics, I am protecting my family. So no, I won't read your fucking folder. No, I won't change my fucking mind, because I sure as hell am not going to put Chloe or Hugo in that position." Madison shrugs, shoving the folder back towards Polly.

"Tommy is trying to change that. It's one of his agendas, to make same-sex relationships legal." Polly tells her.

"Making it legal won't make people change their minds about us." Madi says.

"We won't force you into the spotlight, but we would like you to help behind the scenes." Polly states.

"I know nothing about politics."

"You know a lot more than you think." Polly tuts, "Mads, you're the smartest person we know, even Tommy wouldn't let his hubris get in the way of admitting that."