(58) Jacob and Elaine M

"Are you seriously mad at us for yesterday?" Chloe asks, when an unusually quiet Madison places a cup of tea infront of her.

"I'm not mad at any of you, I'm annoyed that I was being treated like a child." Madison replies. "We didn't mean to treat you like a child, we just care for you and don't like seeing you hurt." Chloe says.

"I'm fine though." Madison responds. "Perhaps, but after what you've gone through recently, you being shot was not enjoyable for anyone. We behaved like we did because you keep almost dying on us." Chloe says.

"That's understandable." Madi sighs as there was a knock at the door, "I'll get it."

As soon as the door was opened, Madison found a small body flinging itself at her, clinging to her and sobbing.

"Are you Madison Shelby?" The man stood at the door asks, as Madi places a hand on Hugo's shoulder, gently rubbing it, "I am."

"Do you recognise this boy?"

"Yes."

"Can you identify him?"

"His name is Hugo Montgomery."

"Is it true that you told his father that you'd be alright to care for him should anything happen to him?"

"Yes, I told Jacob that I'd take care of his son." Madison confirms. "Is that something you can still do?" The man asks.

"Yes." Madi nods, "the funeral is in a week, next to his brother," the man states placing Hugo's bag inside the house and walking off.

Hugo's face was buried against Madisons stomach, his arms wrapped tightly around her, his tears beginning to dampen her shirt.

"Mads- who was at the door?" Chloe asks, coming from the kitchen, to the hall where Madison was stood with Hugo.

"What happened?" Chloe mouthes, "his parents died." Madison mouthes back.

"Are you okay?" Chloe whispers and Madison nods.

"Hey bud, do you want something to drink?" Madison asks, pulling away slightly to see Hugo nod his head, the boy quickly gripping onto her hand as she guides him towards the kitchen.

"Please may I have a water?" Hugo asks, sniffling to try and stop his tears.

"Of course." Chloe nods, getting a cup down for him as Madi sits him down at the kitchen table.

"Do you reckon they've gone to heaven? Will they be with Uncle Jude?" Hugo queries, and Madison is unsure of how to answer so is glad Chloe steps in, placing a glass of water down as she spoke, "most definitely, they were all wonderful people."

"Are you sad?" Hugo asks Madison, "I am, bud. Yeah." Madi nods. "Really? But you look... okay?" Hugo replies. "I just emote in different ways," Madison says.

"I didn't want them to leave." Hugo whispers, taking a large sip of water. "I asked them not to. Are you gonna leave me too?"

"They haven't left you, they're still in here." Chloe says, pointing at his heart, "as long as they're still in here they're never gone. And I know they'll be looking over you."

"Am I staying here?"

"If that's okay with you." Chloe nods.

"You didn't answer my other question." Hugo states, "you're very attentive." Chloe says. "Are you going to leave me too?" Hugo asks, this time looking directly at Madison.

"Never forever." Madison answers, and that seems to make Hugo relax slightly, his legs dangling from the chair as he took small sips from the glass of water, one hand still holding onto Madisons.

"Good Morning Shelbys." Ashton greets happily entering the kitchen.

"Not a great time, Ash." Madison replies, and her bestfriend turns around now noticing that Hugo's tear stained face was looking back at him.

"Hey boss," Ashton says, and Hugo gives him a small wave. "Want to play some cards?" Ash asks.

"Can Auntie M play?" Hugo replies, "of course she can," Ash says, getting the cards from the shelf and sitting down at the table.

-

They had moved to the lounge and Hugo was now asleep with his head in Madisons lap, as the adults continued to talk, Eddie, Finn, Isaiah and Richard had joined them during the day.

John and Tommy had just finished work when they came into the crowded room, with Polly and Michael who had spent the day out, all of them glancing at the sleeping child on the sofa.

"It happened?" Polly asks, Madison had told her and Tommy about Jacob and his wife. She had pre-warned them and Chloe that Hugo may be coming to stay.

"It happened." Madison confirms.

"What happened?" John asks, "you know Jacob? Judes brother? He and his wife have passed. This is their son, Madi promised Jacob he'd have our protection." Tommy answers.

"So we have a kid staying here now." John states. "Yes," Chloe nods.

-

"Jacob and Elaine Montgomery. A joyous couple loved by all that came into contact with them. It fills us all with such sorrow to hear of their passing." The priest speaks.

Hugo was stood in between Chloe and Madison, holding each of their hands, his grip tightening with every word that was spoken. Every little reminder that his parents had been taken from him.

"Their wedding vows stated that they couldn't live without each-other, and they must've been correct, the two died within hours of each other, but fortunately, their humour, wit and selflessness has been passed onto a new generation, through the creation of their son Hugo, who I am sure will go on to make his parents proud." The priest gestures to Hugo, who drops his head, refusing to meet the eye of anyone who turned to look at him.

"May they always be remembered and loved as they take their next step in the journey of life." He says, and he sprinkled some dirt over the two graves.

"Can we leave?" Hugo asks, tugging on Madisons sleeve, "I don't want to see the rest. I want to go back to your home."

"You're sure?" Madison replies, and Hugo nods, tears filling his eyes as he glanced at the two deep graves that were now being filled with earth.

"Let's go." Chloe says, and the two women begin to guide the boy away, back towards the car.

"Thank you for coming with me." Hugo says, as Madison helps him into the car. "No problem bud."

"We know it's going to be difficult, the change. However we are always here if you need us. Hopefully we've made you feel welcomed." Chloe adds. "You have. It's very kind of you." Hugo replies, whilst Madison starts up the car.