Chapter 0.04: School Time Pt. 3

The following grades were no different than the others, but after school I would find a nice quiet place in the library to finish my remaining homework and study a little.

Afterwards, I would go outside to have some alone time and get some fresh air while doing the things that comfort me—or rather distract me...

One day, while I was reading under the tree, the bullies took this opportunity to attack again.

They snatched my book away and played "Keep Away" with it. I tried my best to get it back, but I was a little shorter than them.

I was already so done and dead from everything, I almost didn't even bother trying...

Then, out of nowhere a boy snatched the book back.

"Don't you know it's not nice to take things that aren't yours?" the mysterious boy taunted.

"W-who are you?!" the bullies shouted.

"Yeah! Who do you think you are?! Do you even go here?!" The bullies tried to scare him off.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out. Now scram before things get ugly," he threatened them with a death glare and sinister smirk.

"U-uh... we're sorry! Please don't hurt us!" The bullies ran away terrified.

"Finally, they left. Here's your book," the mysterious boy said as he held my book in front of me.

"Thanks," I looked up just enough to see the book and his hand that was holding it and part of his uniform. "You really don't go to our school do you?" I asked as I flipped the pages to where I last left off.

"Nope, I go to the other one nearby, and the name's Karma, Karma Akabane. Just call me Karma, 'kay?" He smiled, but I was already nose deep in my book to notice.

I quickly nodded while continuing to read, hopefully he'll get the hint to just leave me alone.

"So, what's your name?" he asked.

"Shiniko," I answered, not taking my eyes off the book.

"Nice to meet you, Shiniko." He was met with silence. "So, you always come here after school?"

I nodded. "Hmm, were those guys your friends, it didn't look like it?" I shook my head, not wanting to say anything that would further involve myself with him.

"How long has this been going on?" he asked and took a seat next to me.

How persistent are you, just leave me alone already...

"Why should I tell you?" I was getting annoyed at the amount of questions being fired.

"Just wanted to know more about you so we can be friends, so..." Karma answered.

"Why don't you tell me more about yourself first, you're the one who decided to approach me." I snapped back.

"Ok... So, do you always come here after school?"

"Why don't you find out over the next couple days."

"Why are you so cold, Shiniko~?" he cooed.

"Am I?" I answered sarcastically. "I never realized."

"I won't pry anymore, so I guess I'll tell you a few things about me!"

I continued reading while he talked his head off about whatever he wanted to say. I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in listening to what he was saying.

"And that's about it about me, I think... Anyways, the sun's starting to go down, let's walk home together," Karma stood up and reached his hand out to me.