Chapter 42: Happy Birthday Time

I stealthily made my way up the mountain without running into the troops.

Since there were cameras overlooking the entire area in the shield, I stayed hidden in a tree near the final boss they would have to take down if they wanted to see Koro-sensei.

If I went in now, it would only mess up the plan...

I watched as they defeated him then leapt down from my spot and joined them as we walked into the other side of the shield.

"We're baackk," I sang out.

"I knew it was you from your very footsteps," Koro-sensei turned around. "You've come so far, class."

The majority of us ran towards him in relief.

We quickly briefed him on what we found out.

"I see," Koro-sensei acknowledged. "So they'll be firing the killing laser just before midnight. That much power would even break my absolute defense form." he added.

"Koro-sensei," Kurahashi chimed in. "Let's find a way out of here! We'll be your hostages, or whatever else it takes!"

"The panic will only increase if they find out he's no longer being held in the shield," I reasoned. 

"If we tell them the truth, no one will believe us or the fact that he's harmless—besides the almost 100% chance he might explode. 

The reporters have already labeled us as traumatized hostages and Koro-sensei as a monster; they pity us. 

Not everyone will accept Koro-sensei's existence if he continues to live past his best by date. Do you really want Koro-sensei to live with that label?"

"Now, now," Koro-sensei placed a tentacle on my shoulder as well as Kurahashi, who started to tear up at my words.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I'm just... stressed."

"It's okay," Kurahashi blinked away her tears. "You're right..."

"Part of Shiniko's argument is true: there is no stopping that laser now—not when people know I'm out there." Koro-sensei agreed.

"Even if I don't explode, you can't expect all these nations to not be afraid of a monster like me. Sooner or later, they'll want to stuff me out. It's only reasonable."

"If only we acted sooner, there might've been a way," Fuwa added. "Like breaking the barrier projectors, or making the rounds online and on TV to plead our case!"

"If you did any of that there's no doubt that you'd be labeled as more dangerous and be placed under stricter surveillance." I said. "Besides, the projectors' defenses are practically invincible."

"As we're speaking, there are anti-aircraft weapons in place, poised to launch if I so much as huck a rock at them," Koro-sensei used his zoom eyes to see the aircrafts.

"And with your current capabilities and equipment, you wouldn't be able to make it that far," I added. "Their plan is basically foolproof."

Koro-sensei's face had two red rings appear, "They speared nothing, pouring in tech, time, and manpower. This assassination—this realization of the world's combined wisdom and efforts—suppresses my own abilities, for which I offer my respect and gratitude for the honour of having been its target."

"But... then all our hard work getting to this point... was all wasted?"

"None of it was wasted, Yada," Koro-sensei reassured. 

He lectured us in a gentle way. We knew the end was coming, so maybe that's why we were all so attentive and hanging onto every word he said.

"As you go through life, there will certainly be times things don't go as you hoped due to the mighty current of society pushing against you.