Chapter 39: Outer Space Time

The next day we were back in class, we discussed our plan to save Koro-sensei. Takebayashi suggested that we check on other methods the government plans to use to save the earth.

"Indeed," Karasuma confirmed. "The world's top science facilities have formed project teams focused on saving the planet. But naturally, that info is all top secret. It will be difficult for you to find out what they're studying."

"I've gained access to the project database!" Ritsu chimed in cheerfully.

Nice going, Ritsu!

" I can get into just about any PC that's online now. I've learned so much this year!" she added.

We all gathered around her as she displayed the research labs around the world have been working on. But sure enough, the data we needed wasn't on there.

So, the top secret stuff is only passed around in person, huh?... Makes sense...

"Is anyone doing research on how to save Koro-sensei, then?" I asked.

"There!" Fuwa pointed out. "An American research team!"

" 'Preventing destructive antimatter chain reactions that accompany division of tentacle cells approaching senescence'!" she read aloud.

" "Final samples to be returned from the ISS on 1/25"? "

Of course! A lot of experiments are done in a vacuum or in zero gravity!

"If there's any chance an experiment could result in a huge explosion, there'd be less damage in outer space!" Okuda explained.

"Unfortunately, you're just one tiny, distant outpost of assassins. Depending on the circumstances, it may never be available," Karasuma said.

Right, right...

"Karasuma-sensei?" Karma called out. "No matter what happens, we won't give up on this assassination," he reassured.

"But we don't want to be wishy-washy with it, either. If there's a way to save him, we will. And if not, we've decided to handle that, too. Right, Nagisa?"

"Right," Nagisa reaffirmed. "After all, it's our class's critical objective."

They both still have a scratch on their cheek from the fight, they do be twinnin' though...

"I want to know for sure which is it, right now—so we can stick with our assassination til we graduate." Karma stated.

"Karasuma-sensei, Irina-sensei, could you please step out for a moment?" Koro-sensei asked them. 

"Further discussion along these lines could potentially cause liability issues for you two." Koro-sensei explained. "Oh, Shiniko, you can go too, if you'd like."

"I will take my leave then. I wish you guys the best of luck," I said and exited the room through the window.

I went for a walk in the mountains. When I was far away enough, I did some warm ups before starting to train again.

I needed to regain the strength and accuracy my body lost during that time I was kidnapped. It wasn't going to be easy.

But as long as I stay consistent, it should come back to me. It's basically muscle memory at this point.

I was later told that the class would be taking an "excursion" to Cape Shimazu Space Center to see the rocket launch.

From that info alone and from yesterday's discovery, I was able to piece together the class's plan.

We watched the rocket launch from the open grass field along with many others. I sat between Kayano and Itona with my knees to my chest.

When the rocket launched, I gripped my arm a little harder.

Stay safe up there, Karma, Nagisa...

After the rocket was out of sight, we returned to the classroom and watched the two hijackers' interaction with the astronauts.

Lucky, they get the whole space travel experience...

After their mission was a success, I followed the class out to the pool Koro-sensei built for the summer and we waited for them to land.

When they did, the class cheered and gathered around the two, some even went into the pool.

"We're home," Nagisa announced.

I stood by the edge of the rock with my hand out to help them out of the pool. "Welcome back," I said with a smile.

Nagisa was the first one to take my hand and I helped him out.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

I did the same for Karma, except it didn't go as planned...

"Welcome back, my little hijacker," I teased.

"It's good to be back." Karma took my hand with a mischievous smirk and pulled me into the water with him.

"Dammit Karma!" I shouted while he, along with everyone else, laughed.

"Aw, c'mon Shiniko, it's not that bad," Nakamura chuckled and swung her arm around me.

"Well, I wasn't planning to take a dip today," I pouted as I got out and tried to wring my uniform dry.

When we went back to class, I changed into the uniforms the government gave us a while back. I just didn't wear the protective blue vest.

I joined Kayano, Karma and Nagisa near the front of the class. 

Seems like they've made up their mind...

"You're not gonna change?" I asked Karma.

He shook his head, "I'll change later. Here," He took his blazer from Kayano and draped it around my shoulders. "It'll keep you warm since you got all wet."

"Thanks." I held onto the oversized blazer and snuggled into it, engulfed by his scent. 

With a small, miserable smile, I watched as the class fill with determination, hope and joy.

Whatever they plan to do next, they should already know that the government will continue with their plans.

That's just the cruel reality of it all...