Chapter 34: Recovery Time

Beep... Beep... Beep...

What's that sound?

I slowly opened my eyes, trying to adjust to the brightness.

Where am I?

Just then I heard a door open.

"Oh, you're awake, I'm just going to take your vitals real quick and the doctor will be here soon."

Doctor?... Am I in a hospital?... How?...

The nurse returned with the doctor and they checked up on me.

"You have several gashes and bruises, but nothing too serious. You might have some memory loss and possibly a slight change in behaviour. You should be discharged soon though, so at least there's some good news." the doctor informed. "For now, just rest. You'll get better soon."

I nodded.

Memory loss and a slight change in behaviour, huh?... Yeah right, I still remember everything... though i wish i could forget... forget everything and start on a clean slate...

My wings!

My back felt empty and lighter. I slowly reached around my back.

They're gone!

I started to panic, not because they're gone, but because of what will become of me. I was uneasy and on edge the rest of my stay.

Eventually, I was taken out of the ICU and moved to a regular hospital room as I continued to recover. They said I could be discharged soon.

If I'm being discharged, then does that mean they don't know?...

When I was told I was allowed to have visitors, the nurse gestured towards the door.

I looked over to see Koro-sensei's face squished against the little window in the door. I assume the rest of E Class was there too.

When the nurse left, everyone crammed inside my hospital room. They all looked relieved as they saw me.

All of them crowded around the bed, asking me questions I refused to answer, telling me they're glad I'm alive and well, and stuff like that.

I remembered what the doctor said about the memory loss.

Hehe... This is gonna be fun...

I pretended to be scared and curled up into a ball, holding the sheets near my face.

"W-who are you?" I asked innocently.

The class froze when I said that.

"We're your friends, you know from Class 3E!" Nakamura desperately tried to get me to remember.

"Class 3-E? What school?"

"Kunugigaoka Junior High," she answered.

"Kunugigaoka Junior High?" I repeated. "Hmmm..."

I pretended to think for a while, the class staring intently in silence.

"I think I remember something!"

The class stared at me with their eyes filled with hope, waiting for my answer.

"I remember... that I'm just pranking all of you!" I said cheerfully and sat up on the bed.

Chaos erupted from the class.

"Don't make us worry like that!" Okuda exclaimed.

"You know how scared we were?! We thought you might've died!" Kayano joined.