Chapter 24: Leader Time

"Hey Shiniko, wanna hang out?"

Shiniko couldn't hear anything due to her music. The person who tried to get her attention placed a hand on her shoulder. Shiniko took one of her earbuds out as she turned around to face the person.

"Oh, hey guys, what's up?" I asked.

"I wanted to ask if you wanted to hang out with us today?" Shuu invited.

"Sure," I agreed and continued walking.

They were planning to go to a nearby café, which was actually one of my favourite places: Kunugi-Kaze.

On our way there, we were all talking and laughing. Occasionally, Ren would try one of his cheesy pickup lines on me for fun. Most of them were cringey, not gonna lie...

I walked ahead of them and was the first to enter the café. The others were taking their sweet time and I was getting hungry.

"Welcome," Isogai greeted. "Oh, Shiniko, are you here for your usual?"

"Yes, please and thank you," I got my usual, which was a medium matcha latte, hot or iced depending on the weather.

As he was about to leave, Shuu's group came in.

"Hello, welcome," Isogai welcomed before realizing who it was.

"Looks like the rumors about a student working here are true after all," Teppei confirmed.

So that's why they came here...

I should've known...

"This is your second major violation of the school rules." Shuu stated.

"How 'bout we take this outside, now." I said sternly and gave them, the Big Five, a slight death glare.

"Alright then," he complied, and the group left.

No need to disturb the cafe's atmosphere...

"Can I get my latte first?..." I awkwardly asked.

"Sure thing," Isogai answered with a smile.

Even being confronted like that a minute ago, he's still able to tend to the customers... He really is an ikemen... but he's probably a bit panicked right now...

A few minutes later, he came back with my latte, and we all headed out the door.

"The last time you were caught holding down a job, they punted you down to E Class without a second thought. Such a shame, have you done no soul-searching since then?" Shuu questioned.

I took a sip of my latte, "Give him a break. He's dirt poor, and needs the money." I tried to reason with him.

"Asano, I'm begging you. Keep this on the down low. It's only for the month, I do need the money, please," Isogai pleaded.

"I don't know," Shuu held his chin with his index finger and thumb and held onto his elbow. "Well, perhaps we could be gentlemanly about all this," he stayed quiet thinking about something.

Everyone was silent.

"Very well then, I'll keep your dirty little secret. On the condition that you show me your fighting spirit," he compromised.

"My what?" Isogai questioned.

"Your fighting spirit." I started to explain, "At our school, we respect those who can stand their own ground in school and life. If you have enough fighting spirit, violations of the school conduct can be forgiven, and punishments, suspension and expulsions won't be necessary."

"Precisely, and to show that fighting spirit, you must beat us in pole toppling during the sports festival," Shuu challenged.

The next day after school, the guys stayed behind to discuss their plans.