Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Published: March 2, 2022

Harry watched, ready, as Draco shakily lowered himself into the wheelchair. His arms gave out at the last few inches, but he landed safely in the seat, though a little out of breath. Harry showed Draco how to lower the chair down, release the brakes, and spin the wheels with his hands. Harry considered giving him a powered chair, but Draco would work his muscles more this way. Draco wouldn't be able to try walking until his arms could hold some of his weight.

Draco seemed very uncertain at first, controlling the chair. His hands didn't want to cooperate, but after rolling the wheels back and forth a few times, he was able to propel the chair forward and then spin it around to face him. Harry couldn't describe the happiness he felt, as Draco looked at him, beaming. His grey eyes were misty as he regained another part of himself that Azkaban had taken. Draco then looked away, embarrassed at how emotional he had gotten.

"Hey, it's okay. This is a big step, Draco."

He let out a deep breath and nodded. "Thanks. I just... I never thought I'd get to even this point."

Harry took a deep breath himself. He knelt in front of him and said, "You're getting stronger every day. I told you that you'd be playing quidditch by the end. Just take this one step at a time, and don't ever believe you won't succeed. I will get you there."

"I know you will, Harry. It's hard to be positive after... everything."

"I understand."

"I know you do," Draco added, direly.

"Alright, but if wheeling around gets too exhausting, just ask for help, okay? You might need to take it slow the first few days, especially getting in and out of the chair."

"Yeah, my arms hurt. Guess you weren't kidding about the dips."

Harry nodded and massaged his triceps and shoulders until he said it was okay. Harry walked around to face him and as Draco wheeled back and forth a bit. He was smiling and Harry couldn't help but smile, too.

"You're doing great. Let's do some exercises, okay?"

Draco nodded. Harry guided Draco through the mini-obstacle course of his room. The point was to increase Draco's hand-eye coordination and his muscles in his hands and arms. He had Draco do a few laps around the room, making minor adjustments to avoid the bars, his bed, the table and the other physical training machines. Draco was huffing and sore by the end, and Harry just gave his hands and arms a massage again in the chair.

"Thanks," Draco said, as Harry finished, and Draco flexed his fingers, still a little sore from gripping the wheel.

"It'll get easier," Harry said, kneeling next to him.

"Yeah, it just hurts just a little."

"I'm sorry," Harry quickly apologized.

Draco grimaced. "Harry... you have nothing to be sorry for. I got to move around. As soon as you leave, I'll probably do some more... for the fun of it," he added with a chuckle.

Harry grinned, but sighed. "I don't like causing you pain, and I'll always apologize for it."

Draco snorted as he glanced up at the clock. "Bloody martyr to cause. Well, Joel should be here soon."

"Yeah, I'll wait for him. After my morning appointments, we can eat lunch at the table, too, like proper humans."

Draco smirked. "I'm still not sure you can, Pottah."

"Yeah, yeah, your highness. Just for that... you're getting nachos for lunch."

"What, pray-tell, are nachos?" Draco said, giving him a weird look.