Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Published: July 7th, 2022

After Harry watched Draco fall asleep under the potion, Joel asked him where he wanted to go. Harry knew there was no way he could keep his promise to Draco if he went home. So, he just said Ron's. Joel sent a Patronus to Ron, and he replied that they were glad he wanted to stay with them. After leaving some instructions for Draco's care with Nat, Harry went to his office's floo. Joel followed him to Ron's and said he wouldn't leave until they came.

However, before Harry could even wind down, Molly suddenly came through the floo with her grandkids. They were surprised to find them there, but the kids were ecstatic to see him. Joel introduced himself to Molly as Harry's friend from work and said they were meeting Ron and Hermione. Molly gave him a hug as a hello and explained that these last few days had been hectic for Ron and Hermione, too. she thought they needed a good meal.

It was nice of her to do that for Ron and Hermione, as Harry knew they probably had barely eaten or slept since the MMMB detained him.

However, Harry hadn't seen Molly in months and not since the news broke about what had happened to him five years ago. Worse, she looked ready to cry whenever he caught her eye, so he just focused on the kids. After a bit of awkwardness, Molly finally said that she would get started on dinner. Harry just stayed in the den with his niece and nephew, as he didn't want to be cornered by his adopted mum.

Harry thanked Joel and said he should take off, as Molly wouldn't leave until her son and daughter-in-law got home. Joel was also now the only mind healer left in the hospital, so he really did need to go. Joel was hesitant at first, but he left after handing him another vial of Calming Draught. After he flooed out, Rose and Hugo tried to draw his attention to their playhouse in the corner. As happy as he was to see them, he was finding it hard to keep his mind on their games.

When Molly finished dinner, she had them sit down to eat. Harry sat between the kids, who had cottoned on that something was wrong, though they didn't know what it was. Harry tried not to let it show how much he was hurting, but Rose was a little too perceptive. She knew he was upset, but luckily, she had some of her mother's tact. After dinner, she corralled Hugo into her room for the night, which Rose never usually allowed. Harry missed their presence and turned back to wash up, but Molly had deftly cleaned the kitchen in seconds flat. She walked into the den to tidy and he followed.

She dusted the picture frames with a wave of her wand and sighed as she straightened them. "I'm sorry for bursting in on you, Harry. I wasn't expecting you to be here. The kids wanted to see their parents tonight... as they stayed over at my house last night. Hugo, especially, was being fussy. I thought that it'd be fine if we...."

"It is fine, Molly," Harry said, quietly, as he sat on the couch. "It's always nice to see them, and it's their house. I know Hermione and Ron will be glad to see them when they get home."

She sat next to him. "Harry... are you... okay?"

Harry trembled. "No, but I'm getting better. It's been... rough."

Molly turned and opened her arms in an invitation, and Harry leaned in and accepted it. She held him for a long time, and he just cried into her shoulder. She didn't make him tell her anything. They sat on the couch for nearly an hour not speaking before Ron and Hermione flooed in.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, as she laid eyes on him.

"Mum?" Ron said at the same time.

"Are the kids fine?" Hermione followed up, concerned, and Molly put her hand up.

"Yes, they are. I'm sorry that I didn't send a message, but the children missed you. I surprised Harry here, but I made sure he got some food in him," she explained, patting his hand. "There's some on the table under a Status Spell for you, too."