Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Published: April 3rd, 2022

Trigger warning - intentional unwanted contact, threats, restraints, and panic attack

Harry's breath got sucked right out of his lungs. No, he screamed, internally. He leapt to his feet, ready to rabbit. Electrical crackling came from his hand as his greatest fear was becoming manifest.

"Who are you?" Joel demanded, still in front of Harry, protecting him.

"I'm Healer Trimdel. I'm going to need Healer Potter to come with us," she repeated, verbally brushing him aside.

Joel did not take kindly to that and growled, "And hear me, madam, no one is going anywhere until you explain yourself. This is a closed ward, and you are not permitted to be in this room."

Harry backed into the table, wanting a door, a window, anything. He knew he needed to escape. He tried to focus on trying to Apparate, but his thoughts were too erratic.

"There's no Apparating out. We reenforced the wards," one of the wizards behind the witch said.

Joel glanced back briefly at him, but looked back immediately when the stern witch pressed forward. "Oy!" he warned.

She stopped. "Healer Potter? I need you...."

"Who are you?" Joel spat, taking a step forward, putting himself firmly in between them.

The consideration was lost to Harry, though. He was losing it and shook his head, trying to deny that this was happening. He knew exactly what they were here for, and more electrical crackling came off his hands.

"This doesn't concern you, healer," she said, and Joel started to argue with her.

"Harry," Draco's soft voice, came through the dim. "Harry...."

His unstable emotions finally leveled as he met Draco's eyes. He took a swallow breath.

"Harry... calm down. It's going to be okay."

Harry did and slowly sunk back down into his chair. No escape, unless he wanted to be chased for the rest of his life. Just about every country in the world would execute a competency warrant. The secret must not come out. Tears came out as the realization hit him. It was over. Draco was still across from him, but he couldn't look at him, anymore. Draco was quietly trying to talk to him, trying to pull him out of the spiral.

"He's not going unless you tell me what's going on!"

"This is a confidential matter, Healer."

"I don't care. I'm his friend and his counselor. You will not be getting by me without telling me why!"

The older wizard stepped forward. "We are from the Magical Medical Malpractice Board. A complaint was lodged with the MMPB, and we are here to take Healer Potter to be interviewed."

"Without warning? Without notice? Without his solicitor?" Joel rattled off, but he was definitely nervous. He understood that this was serious.

"The nature of the complaint warranted immediate intervention," Healer Trimdel said.

"What kind of complaint...."

"That information is privileged, healer. Here's the writ of our authority. Healer Potter must meet with us today, or we will summon security or the Aurors, if necessary."

"There's no need for this," Joel huffed, shaking his head. "To show up, unannounced, at his place of employment, interrupting a private medical healing session, and then you think that you can just demand that he come with you? Who the bloody hell do you think you are?"