Chapter 54

Chapter 54

Published: February 4th, 2023

Draco tried again to Summon the telly remote that had fallen on the floor, but the stubborn black plastic thing would not come to him. It barely even shifted. He sighed. He hadn't considered that after six-plus years without casting, he would forget how to cast spells. He had lost so much, as magic wasn't just about words, though he had also forgotten many of the spells. Sure, he remembered the word Accio... but somehow, he was missing a step.

Draco leaned back into his pillows and mulled on it. He never thought he would forget the simplest spells, but Azkaban had taken more than his strength away. He took a deep breath and tried to avoid crying, again. It was really getting annoying but, thankfully, ever since Harry had gone into his mind, Draco had stabilized somehow. Not the emotionally shunted, mute, bed-ridden Draco from when he first arrived, nor the flinchy, PTSD-traumatized, sleep-o-holic he had become after his birthday. Draco was somewhat in the middle emotionally.

Joel said that there might be ups and downs still, but also said that Harry's mental visit had irrevocably changed something. Draco had thought that it was impossible, but Harry had healed him. Healed something inside his mind. Draco had been working with Joel, trying to make "mind healing" work on his bad memories and generally failing. But Harry... he just came in and practically eradicated Connors from his mind. When Harry had let his magic flow through their connection... Connors just vanished. Draco couldn't even remember what he looked like. It wasn't Obliviation, either. Draco remembered what happened and what Connors did and said, but the fear was just gone. He couldn't haunt his memories anymore.

Now, whenever Draco thought of the pain... the torture... the abuse... he remembered Harry, too. Harry healing him... his hands, his body and his soul. He remembered the warm, soothing emotions that Harry radiated when he was in his mind. The feeling didn't leave when Harry broke the spell, and Draco felt like he wasn't alone. Harry was always with him. Harry would protect him, now, not just physically but mentally, too.

Joel couldn't explain it either, but then he said that he really couldn't explain mind healing, either. Joel didn't think that Draco's fear of Connors would come back. He had felt Harry's magic in Draco's mind after, and he couldn't undo any of it if he tried. Joel wasn't even sure that Draco needed mind healing anymore, though they still had sessions. Joel was a great counselor, but he still needed to learn more about mind healing. Draco had no problem letting Joel into every memory, now.

He hadn't really talked to Harry about it. Harry had healed his soul, and Draco didn't know how to respond to such a... gift. His debt to Harry could never be paid off, but he was fine spending the rest of his life paying it off. His entire being belonged to him, now, and Draco was completely okay with that. He had a plan of exactly how he would do it, but there were risks. He hated the idea of distressing Harry, but it was necessary. He needed to take precautions and had penned out some messages in his crude handwriting.

Draco looked up when he heard a knock at the door. He had forgotten about this visit. Joel opened the door and looked in. "Can we come in?"

"Yes, wait a second," he said, putting his wand away. It wasn't his fear driving it, but decorum. You weren't supposed to meet guests brandishing your wand. He also wouldn't receive any more guests in his bed. So he slid into his wheelchair and made sure he was situated, before rolling over to the table.

"Come in."

An older woman in her sixties came in and, just looking at her, he knew she had the same healer's spirit as Madam Pomfrey. Maternal, but professional. "Good afternoon, my name is Healer Carla Soothsaye, I believe you were expecting me?"