Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Published: March 8th, 2023

Draco was stiff and sore as he wheeled around the room restlessly. Harry had always made sure his muscles were relaxed after his exercises, but Harry said that he wanted to leave. Harry was upset, and Draco didn't want him to feel obligated to touch him, even professionally. Instead, he resigned himself to stretching his muscles himself and using the exercises that Harry had shown him. His hands were always the worst, but he could manage.

Eventually, Draco climbed into bed and watched his telly, but he wasn't there, mentally. He could only think of Harry. He had finally said the words... and Harry was hurt. But he couldn't see how he could have done it any other way. They needed space and time. Well, they really didn't... but it was necessary. He hated himself for that... for being trapped in a system that neither of them could control. Rules. Fucking rules. How he longed to just say fuck it. But he owed Harry.

Joel had wanted to wait, but he also had agreed that this needed to be done. He said that Draco had bonded with Harry, latched on to him, due to everything Harry had done for him. The way Joel explained it... Draco never had any positive relationships in his life and had been brutally tortured for a decade. So, naturally, he would grow attached to the first person to show him mercy and compassion. Joel said there's a legitimate reason that healers and patients aren't supposed to be together.

But Draco knew the truth though... that he had always loved Harry. Fucking hell, how could Harry not see it when they linked? Harry was literally the only thing that kept him sane in Azkaban. He was his safe space. His feelings weren't suddenly changed by Harry healing him. Hell, Harry was the only reason he came out of it. Even if Joel or Blaise had been his healers instead of Harry, he wouldn't have recovered... at least that quickly.

Draco tried to explain it to Joel, but he just said, "Draco, if you two start anything... whilst you're here... Harry can be fired and even charged. He probably wouldn't get a conviction, as you are sound of mind, but... imagine what the papers would say?"

Draco knew what the vultures would say and didn't try to argue further. Those bastards had printed every word of Harry's courtroom confession for all to see and then speculated on what had happened to him. Draco didn't want to reopen all those old wounds, nor did he want to cost Harry his job. Harry deserved everything... but all the pieces needed to be put into place. Thus the plan was born. A plan that would hurt Harry... but make it so everything was right. Then he, Draco, could make everything up to Harry.

Draco was shaken out of his musings when there was a knock on the door. "Come in," he said, hoping it was Harry.

"Evening, love," Cass said with a plate. He hadn't gotten dinner yet.

His shoulders dropped. "Hey, Cass."

"Nat said you're getting discharged tomorrow?" she said, probing, as she walked over.

He nodded.

"That seems a bit sudden. No... pomp and ceremony?"

"Ceremony?"

"You haven't said anything about leaving. It's a big step."

"I don't want to leave," he muttered. It was not a celebration.

"Ah. "Of course, love," she said, setting the tray on his lap.

"I also don't eat in bed," he grumbled.

"Tonight, you are. Hand me the remote. Got to see if they saved little Jimmy from the well."

He grimaced but handed her the plastic thing and started picking at his food. Cass changed the channel, and they watched in silence. He was not going to sleep easily tonight. Draco couldn't when he knew that Harry wouldn't sleep earlier. He was surprised that Joel didn't come back, but maybe Harry was distraught.