Chapter 66

Chapter 66

Published: March 28, 2024

The ward almost felt alien to him. So did his robes, but Harry straightened them out and stepped out of his office into the hallway, bracing himself for the first interaction.

"Harry!" Natalie said, smiling as she saw him. "It's so wonderful to see you."

He gave a small smile, unsure if his absence had hurt her. He hadn't even owled. "Thanks. I'm sorry I was gone so long. How was... um... everything?"

"No worries, Harry. I had some vacation time to use as well. I also had a mountain of paperwork to organize and programs and policies to write being head warden, so it was a nice break."

"Oh... right... is everything going alright with the board?" he asked, uncertainly.

"Of course! And thank you... for asking for this role. It's already setting new standards and decreasing the separation between healers and wardens."

Harry was happy to hear that. "It was nothing. You do more work than I do, and there's no reason why wardens should be treated so badly."

Natalie smiled. "Thanks, Harry. Are you sure you're ready for patients today? I did make a few appointments, and others are on standby if you're doing okay. Susan said not to overwork you."

Harry had owled his new supervisor to let her know that he was coming back. Susan must have let Nat know. "Let me do a few, and we'll see," he said, feeling guilty. He hadn't thought of Harper either. "Is... Harper still here? I didn't even think about where he went."

"He's been helping out Joel. He's still assigned to you, though, and does come up to organize your mail and appointments. He said that he'll be here soon if you still wanted his assistance."

"Of course, I do, unless Joel needs him for something?"

"No," a voice said from behind him. Harry turned and Harper was there. "I'm back on your service, Heal-I mean-Harry."

"Hey, Harper. I'm really sorry I was gone so long... after all, I said that I'd...."

"Harry, don't. Joel has been looking out for me, and he needed my help handling the Mind Healing old ward. The patients knew me, and it helped Joel a lot. But they are used to him, now."

Harry tilted his head. "Then... they cleared you? The inquiry?"

Harper nodded. "They did, thanks. But since you're back... I came back here. Healer Bones said to ensure your needs are taken care of."

His anger flared up, and he snapped, "I'm not an invalid. I have taken care of myself for my whole life."

Harper paled and backed off. "I'm sorry... she just...."

"Calm down, Harper. Harry gets grumpy when people take care of him. Just stare him down, and he'll calm down," Natalie said from her desk.

Harry glared at her. "Excuse me?"

"I have missed snippy-you, but Harper isn't used to your many mood swings. Be a dear and don't frighten him, again. He's made so much progress."

Harry gave her a look. "What? I don't have mood swings!"

Natalie looked at him pointedly and smirked. "I have been your warden for years. Do you really want me to prove my point?"

Harry's jaw dropped. Nat had certainly got more confidence, not that she was timid before. He closed his mouth and vented. I'm not moody, he told himself. He didn't want to try her, but he met her eyes and wondered if she was right.