Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Published: May 7, 2022

Harry pulled uselessly on his bands, again. He couldn't help it. Though his wrists were bruised and chafed, he had to try to escape. Ever since Draco left, he tried to use his magic, but he had no luck. Though the potion appeared to be out of his system, he couldn't sleep. He trusted that Draco would get the message out, but anything could have happened. He had no idea what was going on outside the white room he was trapped in.

He only could think of the threats Higgs said to him. Not to mention he knew that it didn't matter if they arrested Higgs. It was not going to halt the MMMB inquiry. They could still commit him... forever. That witch, Trimdel, was an absolute hag. Maybe she was Umbridge's sister or something, and he might not be able to pull himself together even if he wasn't dosed with the Panic Potion, again. Fuck, those first few hours on that shit were brutal.

Harry was amazed that he hadn't magically attacked Higgs during the evaluation, but then again, Higgs had only given him a small dose. The amount last night, however, nearly sent him over the edge. He didn't know if he could restrain himself from hexing him, and once the MMMB saw him do that, wandlessly, it was over. He'd be stuck in this room forever. Tears welled in his eyes, but, suddenly, the door flung open, and he jumped in surprise.

One of Higgs's lackeys came in, panicked, until he saw that he was there. "Good, you're here... I thought..." the mind healer started, yawning.

Harry blinked and realized that Cass or someone had probably knocked him out. Higgs had left him to guard. Harry didn't really know the guy, not even his name. He knew that he was a Ravenclaw, a few years older than him, and that he was buddies with Higgs. Still, Harry grunted and lifted his wrist in a vain hope that he would release him. Fat chance, but he had to try.

"Yeah, right, Potter. We got you, now. Sorry, it's a prestige thing... having you here. I want to figure out how you tick."

Harry grimaced and looked away. Asshole. Higgs had led him astray.

"I'd keep those opinions to yourself, Murphy. Don't need the wrong people hearing it," a voice drawled from the still-open doorway.

Harry met Harper's eyes and was silently pleading for help.

Harper clearly winked at him from behind Murphy, but then said, "See? I told you he was fine. Just because you can't handle midnight shift...."

"Shut up! You're just a warden. I'll report you if you tell anyone I was..." the healer trailed off.

"Sleeping on duty?" Harper grunted, crossing his arms in the doorway.

"Fuck you! Go change some bed linens, peon."

Harper's eyes glinted. "Sure, boss. It's what I do best." Then Harper met his eyes, again, before leaving.

If Harry had to guess, he had an ally, though a somewhat powerless one. So Harper must be in on it... or something else was going on.

Murphy hissed, "Fucking wardens. They all are in on it... Team Potter. Bet you don't even know that, do you? They've been doing everything they can to fuck with us, but we're still in charge of them. A few terminations, and it'll stop. But you have fun at your meeting today, Potter."

Murphy finally left, shutting the door behind him.

Harry started panicking, again, though the potion had worn off. Higgs was coming soon. Hurry, he mentally chanted to anyone. He had faith in Draco, but he couldn't help but be afraid. What if Draco had been caught? What if Draco couldn't handle relaying the information to Hermione and more particularly, Ron? Harry knew it was going to be hard for him. Draco seemed to be petrified of Ron. His best mate had told him how much Draco had locked up when Ron checked his room for spells that day after the trial.