Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Published: 4/20/2022

Ron watched as Malfoy fidgeted nervously in his wheelchair. He hadn't looked at him once and would only briefly glance at Hermione. They had been summoned at nearly four in the morning to come to his room. The frog Patronus had directly asked for him to come, too, though Ron wasn't sure why. Malfoy was clearly affected by his presence, and Ron didn't want to cause him stress. He was sure there was a reason, though, and just tried to be as non-threatening as possible and let his wife lead the conversation.

They were sitting across from Malfoy. The kid... Joel... was talking low to Malfoy, trying to ease his discomfort, and was sitting next to him. The two wardens, Natalie and Cass, were standing by the door, anxiously waiting and talking low to each other. They were waiting for Zabini to arrive, which Joel had assured them, that it would just be a few minutes.

Hermione also tried to talk to him, trying to reassure him as well. Malfoy... Draco, he mentally corrected himself, was not as affected by Hermione as much as him. Ron had had plenty of victim sensitivity training from being in the Aurors. He stressed it a lot when he took over his department. Victims can be easily traumatized by the wrong person even being in the room or questioning them, especially when it involved abuse. He knew victims tended to close up when large, over-bearing Aurors were in the room, and he especially tired not to be unless it was necessary.

However, M-Draco knew him. They had history, and maybe that's why Draco was so nervous around him. Ron tried to be as calm and soft-soften as possible, but Malfoy tightened up if he even breathed loudly. Ron was sure that he didn't need to be there. Hermione remembered everything, and could just give him orders. She was the boss, he thought, with amusement. When he subtly shifted in his chair, Draco twitched, immediately noticing the movement. Ron figured he should leave.

"Maybe I should just wait outside?" he suggested, quietly. "I don't want to make you upset, Draco."

Malfoy tightened up and looked away, clearly wanting no part of his presence. Joel tried to take his hand on the table, but Draco snapped it back to his body and leaned back in his wheelchair. He wanted no part of contact, which wasn't uncommon for sexual assault victims. Ron was about to get up when Malfoy shook his head.

"I don't need to be in here. Hermione can...."

"Harry asked for you," Draco whispered, still rigid.

Ron settled back in his chair. "I see. Well... still... this is stressing you out. I don't want you to be so... uncomfortable."

Draco was still staring at the table and, now, making eye contact with no one.

"I won't ever hurt you, Draco," Ron said, using his calm and soft voice.

Malfoy still just stared at the table, blankly. Disassociating, the books called it. It was hard to know what to say or do in this situation. Sometimes, you just had to ride it out. However, Joel leaned forward and tried to engage with him.

"Draco?" he asked.

Malfoy slowly looked at him.

"You want some tea? I think it'll help?" Joel asked and looked at the wardens. Natalie nodded and left to get it. "Draco, come on. Breathe in and out, slowly, like we talked about. Stay here...stay with us, okay?"

Draco breathed and said, "Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize, Draco," Joel whispered and set his hand on the table, open for him.

Malfoy shook his head, declining the offer. Natalie returned and set the cup on the table in front of him. Draco sniffed it and slowly drank it. Ron had understood that tea was a euphemism for a Calming Draught. Draco's breathing became more relaxed, but he still didn't look at him. Draco leaned forward onto the table and held on to his cup with both hands. He finally looked at Joel, and they had some kind of wordless exchange.