Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Published: September 30, 2022

Draco's arms were shaking from the effort. Bloody hell, he thought Harry's leg press exercises were bad, but this exercise of lifting out of the chair... hurt. He grunted in pain and exhaustion as he lifted his thighs off the seat.

"Come on, now reach out," Harry urged.

The last, or nearly the last, step was to quickly grab Harry's arm. He had missed a few times today already, but Harry just healed his sore arms and made him try it, again. He loved and hated him for it, too. He was wiped out, but he also knew that this was all necessary. One step closer to freedom.

"Fuck," he swore and reached for Harry, who securely held his grip.

Draco then switched to focusing on his weak leg muscles and managed to straighten them out.

They did not like being used, but by sheer willpower, he forced them vertical. He swayed back and forth as he locked his knees and again had to brace himself against Harry.

"I got you," Harry promised and steadied him more.

Draco pushed off a little and managed to hold his position in front of him. "Yeah... don't-don't let go."

"Never," his healer whispered and looked into his eyes.

Draco's eyes watered every time he managed to stand up though he had done it ten times already. He hated showing so much emotion. He supposed that it was just leftover from his years in hell. Emotions weren't something that he let escape often. He tried to blink them away, as Harry still held his hands.

"It's okay, Draco. It's okay to cry... alright?"

Draco stared back at Harry and shook his head. It was safer not to feel.

"Don't bury it, Draco, please," Harry said, and maintained eye contact, which he knew that Harry was not very good at.

He froze and said, "I... don't know how."

"You told me once... that I was teaching you how to feel... again. Feel it. You're standing, Draco. I'm so proud of you."

Warm shivers went down his back as they did every time Harry said that to him. He wasn't used to anyone saying that to him. He had always been a source of embarrassment for his father. He let a few more tears out, and Harry smiled back at him.

"I'm still taller than you," he murmured, trying for some joviality, as he straightened his back and legs more to emphasize it.

"Yep, you sure are," Harry said, lifting his head higher to meet his eyes.

They were so much closer in this position, inches actually, and Harry realized it at that moment, too. He looked down at their hands and released his grip, trying to let him stabilize on his own. Draco wasn't interested in his sense of balance at the moment. Harry was avoiding his eyes. Talking had gotten harder, since Harry's incarceration and three-day absence. Harry knew that their relationship had changed somehow, and he didn't know how to handle it.

"Harry," Draco drawled, and he could see Harry shudder. He kinda liked seeing that reaction to his voice. It wasn't fear, but his emotions were also affecting him. He liked speaking forward to him, but Harry was still very traumatized. Draco had to be careful with him. Everything had to be done at the right pace.

"It's alright, Harry," he whispered. "Why don't you tell me about these new exercises you got for me to do?"

That did the trick. Harry was able to get back into the flow, again. He rambled on about the new routine and durations as he helped him drop back down in the seat. Draco didn't really listen to any of it. Harry's voice was very soothing. He could just feel the way Harry cared about him. That level of care and dedication was evident in his every word. He knew a long time ago... maybe even before this all had happened... that Harry was everything he would ever want in a partner.