Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Published: May 24th, 2021

Harry was a mess for the rest of the day. He managed to get through his appointments and check on Joel, who was still apologizing every other sentence. Joel could see that he was scared, that Higgs had hit the mark. Draco had tried to calm him during lunch, too, but, at the end of the day, Higgs actually showed up on the floor.

"Oh, just checking up on my future patient," he proclaimed.

Harry was nearly ready to clock him himself, but realized that he was talking about Draco. He wanted to punch him even more now. Somehow, he refrained. Maybe he had grown up.

"He's still my patient," Harry hissed.

"That doesn't mean that I can't come to do an assessment? I can do Mind Healing while he's in your ward. He's a suicide risk... and you haven't put him in for a consultation, yet. That's almost neglect, Potter."

Harry took a deep breath in and realized that Draco's door was room, which was warded against Higgs anyway, but he was talking loud enough to be heard. "It's not going to happen, Higgs. I don't trust you. And I did come to you, but you said no. Remember?"

"I don't remember that. Are you sure you sent a request?"

Harry's shoulders tensed. "You aren't going in there."

"No, I'm required to check on him. I have a duty to help him," Higgs replied, echoing Harry's own words back to him. "You don't have the right to deny me access, Potter."

"This is my department, Higgs. You aren't allowed. I don't troll your floor."

"You belong on my floor," he hissed. "But let me pass or I'll...."

"What? Run to the board?" Harry muttered.

"Let's go see the boss, first," he replied. "I'm sure that she'll love to hear that you've been neglecting your patients."

"Watch it, Higgs."

They went to Head Healer Convaba's office. They argued for nearly an hour, where Harry explained that Higgs is just now doing this out of spite and not of a desire to help his patient. Higgs said that he had never been given an official request. Harry denied that an official request was necessary as he verbally asked for one, which Higgs had refused to help. She finally said enough and dismissed Higgs, stating that she would investigate. He walked out triumphantly.

Harry started to plead his case, again, when she interrupted him, "The last time I was in his room, he was mute. You should have gotten a consultation. He needs help."

"I swear I did try. Higgs told me to bugger off. He said that they can't use Legilimency on him. So, I've been the one easing his fears and making him feel comfortable enough to open up."

"You aren't a Mind Healer, Harry."

"No, but I can show compassion and dignity. I can help him emotionally without breaking into his mind. He just needed to understand that he was safe here... cause he's been through a lot," Harry whispered, lowering his head. "And you can trust that I will take care of my patients."

"I do, but Healer Higgs raises a valid point. He's a suicide risk... and on parole. It's a rule issue, you see. Well... will you object if I talked to Mr. Malfoy? Maybe I can find a grey area or better understand what is going on?"

Harry frowned. "Yeah, if he's up for it. I trust that you won't hurt him to spite me."

She raised an eyebrow. "You really think that Higgs would hurt a patient to hurt you?"