Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Published: 3/23/2022

TRIGGER WARNING – intentional unwanted physical contact

Harry was impressed when, three days later, Draco slid into his chair from his bed without too much shaking. Draco was getting more confident in his abilities, and it wouldn't be long before they could try assisted walking. Maybe two weeks, if not only one. Draco was doing his exercises without too much complaint. His depression had fizzled away as he was determined to get out of that chair. Harry was certainly proud of him.

Their talks during lunch weren't very pleasant and, to him, it almost seemed like he was their primary focus. It made him feel awkward. He didn't want to be the center of attention, and he was trying to avoid their talks. This morning was no different. When Joel came in, Harry stopped whatever exercise they were on and muttered about getting to his appointment.

"Harry, your first appointment isn't until for another hour."

He should have realized that Joel still kept tabs on his appointments. He probably still did all of his prep and scheduling, too. Nat hadn't been bugging him about it or asking his preferences.

"Right," he said, shuffling his feet. "I need to get caught up on my paperwork."

"Harry..." Joel called, and he reluctantly turned. "...if this is getting too much...."

"No, I just... I need..." he trailed off and wouldn't look at Draco. He really didn't want to bring him down, as he felt decidedly low himself.

"Harry, we can take a break. If you just want to talk about Draco's treatments or Ginny's recent win."

He hadn't even known that she had won. He was a terrible friend sometimes. "I don't know," he mumbled as he shifted, anxiously.

Joel sat down in his usual spot against the wall and said, "Harry, part of recovery is communicating that you are hurting and need a break. Sometimes, you just need to talk about something else or need a breather. Just tell us what do you want to do?"

Harry lowered his head. That was always the question. He had no idea anymore. "I... don't know."

"Well, you said that you had some paperwork? Wanna grab it and work on it with us? We can just talk about school."

Harry let out a breath of relief and agreed. He went to his office, grabbed his paperwork, and returned, sitting next to Joel across from Draco. He made notes in Draco's record of his improvements and his appointments over the last week, while Joel talked to Draco about his time at school. They left him alone, and he appreciated that. He didn't want to be afraid to see them.

"Nah, Flitwick never let me get away with anything... he pushed me hard. He was the only reason I passed Charms. Believed in me."

"Wasn't Longbottom your head of house?" Draco asked.

Joel nodded, "Toward the end, but I already had a good grasp of Herbology... so it was kinda a wash. Plus, he was... young...."

"Same age as us," Draco said.

"Yeah, he told us a few tales of the Chosen One when he first started. Crazy stories about dragon smuggling, three-headed dogs and cloaked vampires after unicorns. He wasn't a very good storyteller, though. Didn't fake anyone out."

Both Harry and Draco broke out laughing, and Joel looked back and forth between them.

His eyes widened. "He wasn't lying, was he?"

"Nope," Harry said, and Draco met his eyes.

"Really? A three-headed dog? Dare I ask, Potter?" he asked, as he had missed that part.