Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Published: 12/25/2020

Merry Christmas!

Draco watched Harry's eyes lower, and he shook his head. "I'm not brave anymore. I'm afraid to eat in the lunchroom... I'm afraid to leave my house... I'm even afraid of telling Ron and Hermione what happened. To see the looks of pity on their faces. I can't stand it. I... covered up what happened, Draco. Broke the law to do it, and lied to anyone for five years! I can't even...."

"Harry!" Draco growled, and he stopped crying. "You are brave. You still come here, every day, don't you?"

Harry's mouth popped open slightly and he nodded.

"Just because you're afraid, doesn't make you a coward. You're facing your fears every day to come help people, including convicted ex-Death Eaters. You do it for nothing, just to help them heal. Tell me, Potter. Why did you agree to take me as your patient?"

"Well, I didn't know it was you. I didn't look at the name... I saw your scan. I just wanted to take away your pain."

"That didn't change even after you knew it was me."

"Yeah... I knew how much pain you were in. That you couldn't walk, your muscles... your arms and legs. I couldn't leave you like that. I knew I could heal you, and I had to."

"And you did, Harry. Even after everything I've done to you and your friends. You still healed me. You smiled at me. Asked for permission to touch me every time. You treated me like a person, not the scum I am."

"You're not scum!"

"Your friend, Natalie, seemed to disagree."

"She changed her mind."

"My p-parole officers?"

"They're dicks."

Draco gave him a look. "Your mates?"

"I can't talk about you... to them. They only brought it up because of the parole office thing and I swear I didn't talk about anything else, Draco!" Harry said in a rush, trembling.

Draco's eyes narrowed. What did he mean? Was Harry protecting me that much... and was scared about my response? he thought. Shit. Stupid martyr for cause Gryffindor. He sighed. Harry had worked himself up into a frenzy about this and was now looking guilty about it. Salazar-only-knows how many panic attacks he held over this issue.

"Harry, I give you permission to talk about my medical information to Weasley and Granger."

Harry jerked his head up. "Draco, you don't have to do that."

"You're upset, Harry. I don't want you to be hurt over this. It's giving you anxiety."

"That's not a valid reason to get that kind of permission!"

"I gave it, Harry. Do with it, what you will."

"I don't want to betray you, Draco. That's more important to me than the healer's code. I didn't want anyone to know what I've been through."

Draco sighed, again. Gryffindors are way too literal. "Harry... surely you don't have to tell them everything. I'm sure a basic rundown of my injuries would suffice."

"Oh... yeah... right."

"They can guess the other stuff. You three do-gooders aren't exactly the sort to rub my face in it... maybe Weasley."

"No... Ron's... supportive. He gave me your file..." Harry began and then clapped his hand over his mouth. "Shit."

His file. His Ministry file. Harry was looking him up. The Chosen One was predictable. He obsessed. He saw evil and injustice, and he would fight it with all that he had.