Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Published: June 5th, 2022

Happy birthday to Draco Malfoy! The best character in the HP multiverse!

Harry was about to just Apparate away, but Ron eyed him. Don't, Ron was telling him. Harry lowered his eyes as Healer Trimdel came into the room, keeping her only in his peripheral. But he did notice that there was a different wizard with her, today. The man stayed unobtrusively at the door, watching them.

Healer Trimdel, however, went up to Ron and growled, "You! You're not supposed to be here! I don't care how powerful you and the rest of his friends are! Mr. Potter is in our custody! You have no authority to remove him!"

Ron snorted, unmoved by her tantrum. "Bitch, he hasn't left the ward."

The healer gasped as Harry's eyes widened at Ron's boldness. Clearly, Ron didn't care one knut about her. He looked utterly unperturbed as she shrieked, "You... can't talk to me that way! Why, I ought to...."

"Do shut up. I have no responsibility to be courteous to you. This is now an Auror matter. I must inform you that you are also under investigation," he stated plainly.

"I-what? Who do you think you are, you pillock! You can't threaten me! My authority goes all the way to the top!"

Ron scoffed, "As does mine, idiot. I'm not here on a bloody social call. Terence Higgs and every mind healer on his rotation have been arrested with charges of serious bodily assault, illegal use of potions and torture. So my question is... were you in on this conspiracy?"

She paled and shook her head in disbelief. "Now, listen here! That can't be true. It is simply preposterous! I've known Healer Higgs for years. What evidence do you have?"

"That information is privileged," Ron said, with a mischievous tone, and Harry felt the panic fade a little more. "But you, madam, need to explain your actions as part of my investigation. What was your rationale for starting your investigation?"

She puffed up, indignantly. "I responded to a legitimate complaint of dangerous, wild magic!"

"Huh... I see," Ron said, taking out a parchment pad and pretending to write it down. "Now, did you take any bribes or favors for investigating the complaint from Healer Higgs?"

Her mouth dropped and her face heated up. "Of course not! How dare you! I've been with the MMMB for over three decades!"

Ron sighed and then turned to give him an eye roll. "I don't think we'll be that lucky, Harry. She's just a prejudiced old hag."

Harry snickered, feeling a little more at ease as she spluttered indignantly, "I'll have your job!"

"Phhh, you got no power over me. You don't have authority over anyone, 'cept what the Wizengamot gives you. I work for the Minister, who is very interested in how you've been conducting your "investigations". He feels that your crass handling of this complaint... is going to prompt immediate changes in the MMMB as soon as the Wizengamot reconvenes. Perhaps another competent MMMB auditor can finish your investigation."

She went from red to white, but sneered, "I don't think you can...."

"Me? Not me. Kingsley and my wife are very politically connected in the Wizengamot. You're right... I don't have the authority to censor you, in the same way that you have no authority over me. But your actions in dealing with this case are shocking, to say the least. A simple complaint of wandless magic and you just bypassed all established procedures and forcibly detain the person? Care to elaborate on your reasons?"