Chapter 62

Chapter 62

Published: October 16, 2023

Harry watched the waves crash until the sun started to rise, then he heard a crack. He didn't have to look to see it was Ron. He met his eyes, and Ron slowly approached.

"Hey, I just wanted to make sure you're okay. You were gone all night, and we were worried," Ron said, quietly.

"I'm okay," Harry murmured, looking back out over the water.

Ron took another step forward and said, "Do you want me to leave? If you need more time...."

"You're fine. Just wanted to process," Harry said, still gripping the journal tightly.

"I understand. A lot has happened," Ron said and sat beside him. "Was it the newspaper articles?"

Harry shook his head. He hadn't even read them. "No. Were they bad?"

Ron gave him a look. "A little. I'm pretty sure that many people think you're... gay, but they weren't too derisive. Just bringing the question to the readers. 'Is Harry Potter gay?' was The Prophet's headline. Witch Weekly is loving it, though. 'Star-Crossed Lovers Reunited' was theirs. Someone or a few people took photos of your dance."

"Huh... strangely, I don't seem to care about that," Harry said. Draco's words were more important than the views of the rest of the world.

"I can't believe he did that," Ron said, shaking his head. "Asking you to dance in front of everyone."

Harry looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "I thought you were in on it?"

"A little. Malfoy asked Hermione to convince you to come. He told her about the 30-day requirement the Patels recommended. He said a very public, seemingly random meetup would be better than a private one. One appearance and it would be all over. You guys wouldn't have to hide your friendship."

"Friendship? Is that what he told you he wanted?" Harry questioned, looking at him.

"Not me, Hermione. She said that he didn't want to push you into anything. She said he just wanted to be friends until you both were ready for something else. Apparently, he was quite awkward about discussing it."

"I bet. Draco said the same. He wants more, though."

Ron leaned forward and met his eyes. "And you don't?"

He looked away. "I do, but I'm scared."

Ron sighed. "I'm sure. Even if all the crap you've been through hadn't happened, you'd be scared. Love is a powerful thing."

"Love?"

Ron scoffed. "Harry... come on. You've been obsessed with him for months. You do love him. It's not just about him being your patient. You've been infinitely happier ever since he came to your ward, and that's with all the other shite that was thrown at ya. Don't ya think that I thought all the same things when Hermione accepted me? She's unbelievably smarter, more capable and more loyal than I am. Ten times more, yet she chose me. I've always thought I was the luckiest guy in the world."

"What!? You're just as great as she is," Harry argued.

"Yeah... we all have our insecurities, Harry. Malfoy ain't asking for ya to jump into something you ain't ready for. He'll take anything, cause he loves ya. I'll bet he'll do anything for ya, and you deserve that level of devotion."

Harry looked at him, relieved. "You... really think... it'll be okay?"

Ron smiled. "I do. What are yeh worried about? He knows what happened to you... and you know what happened to him. You're both gonna do anything to reassure and help each other through the bad times. Yeah, putting yourself out there is scary, but it's worth it in the end. Harry... will there ever be someone else who understands you more than Draco? I've been your best mate for nearly 13 years... and I didn't see it. Draco did... immediately."