Chapter 57

Chapter 57

Published: March 17th, 2023

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

It was the middle of the night and Harry's eyes wrenched open. He had only slept an hour or so before his nightmares woke him. He longed for the sweet oblivion firewhiskey provided, but knew he shouldn't. He didn't want to go down that hole, again. So he got up, washed his face in the loo and soldiered off to the kitchen to get some water. However, he dropped the glass he grabbed, because his hands were shaking so badly.

"Shit!" he swore quietly, but cast a wordless Reparo and the glass reformed.

He got some water and sat at the table, trying to calm down and hold back the tears. He looked up when he heard footsteps coming down the hallway, and Ron entered the kitchen.

His mate sighed when he saw him and sat across the table from him. "How yeh doin'?"

Harry shrugged. He wasn't up for conversation, which had been usual for the last week.

"Yeah... I get that. Nightmare?" Ron prodded, gently.

He nodded.

"Joel left potions for you... if you want something."

He shook his head. He didn't want to talk. It was hard enough to control his breathing. The walls were too close right now. Light probably would have helped, but he didn't want to look any more pathetic to Ron by turning on the lamps. He fidgeted more, critically aware that Ron's gaze watched his every move. Ron saw a lot more than he used to. He was a great Auror, now, intuitive and empathetic. But Harry didn't want him to see how broken he was.

"Harry, it's okay to need help, you know?" Ron said, confirming that.

"Yeah," Harry growled, getting miffed. "I'm so fucked in the head that you have to cast motion wards in the hallways to make sure that I don't do anything to myself."

"I didn't cast anything and, besides, I heard something break."

Harry's eyes narrowed. He didn't believe him.

Ron sighed. "I didn't cast any wards for you, Harry. I always cast wards... in case the kids wake up, and... well... I'm paranoid that some perp I've arrested over the years comes here to hurt my family. The war mindset never really left me, Harry. I can't leave them off for a night. So, no, there's nothing special up for you... or stopping you. I'd want to know if my kids try to go outside in the middle of the night at their age."

Harry looked at him, frowning. "Sorry... I...."

"You don't have to apologize. We are being... cautious with you, cause we know that you're going through a hard time. All the shit coming out, getting attacked, confined... then Draco left...."

Ron stopped after Harry visibly flinched at his name. His eyes welled with tears, and he looked at the dark walls that felt too close. His chest felt tight, like he wasn't getting enough oxygen. Harry tried to stop the building panic but hadn't been that successful lately. Of course, he would usually just go to his room and lock the door. No one would see him fall apart... and he could break down in solitude.

He doubted that Ron would let him walk away, but he stood up, barely able to keep his breathing under control and tried to walk down the hallway. Ron did get up and blocked his path.

"Harry... wait," he said, and held out his hand. "Come with me... I promise it'll make you feel better."

He looked at him and his hand dubiously, but the lure of relief from this pain was strong to resist. He trusted Ron and would pass out from lack of air soon. He took his hand, and Ron cast a quick Silencing Charm before pulling him into his Apparation. Harry closed his eyes as they appeared outside, and all Harry could smell was salt and water. His bare feet were already sinking into the sand, and he could hear the sound of waves gently rolling. Though it wasn't too chilly, his body shivered slightly from the abrupt temperature change. He looked and saw they were on a beach. There were no lights in sight except for the crescent moon over the water.