Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Published: October 7, 2021

It was Joel's idea and Draco had seemed optimistic, but Harry was nervous about someone new entering their group. His leg bounced nervously, as he waited in his office for the appointed time. It was just over a week since Joel passed his exams, and he already had eight patients assigned to him, nine if Harry included himself (he didn't). Harry was proud of him. Draco had had no problem signing the transfer parchment form, and Elsa transferred to his service, as well.

Unfortunately, Joel couldn't declare Draco mentally sound, yet, as he wasn't a licensed mind healer. However, Joel effectively banned Higgs from gaining access to Draco, as he was his patient. Of course, their sessions were more training for Joel than counseling for Draco. They were preparing Joel for licensing, and Harry could tell that Draco enjoyed doing... something proactive. Joel, however, was sneaking in counseling too. It was where the idea came from, and he had convinced Draco to go through with it.

Head Healer Convaba had brought it up, too, that Draco needed a support structure. When Draco did get strong enough to walk on his own, he couldn't be home by himself for a long time, nor stay in the hospital forever. Though Harry had months of vacation time saved, it would surely be discussed if he left to assist Draco. No... Draco needed help, mentally and physically, and contracted house elf service wasn't good enough.

Knock, knock.

Harry swallowed hard and willed his tremors away. He should have taken his Calming Draught beforehand. "Come in," he said, remaining in his seat at his desk.

The door opened and Harry recognized the man, though it had been nearly eight years since he had last seen him. His head was high, and his pureblood affluence just oozed out of him. The newcomer's dark eyes analyzed him, critically, but then he nodded respectfully.

"Potter, you look... umm... good. Is that... other healer coming? The one that wrote me?" It was hard to read his voice, if he was an enemy or a friend. They were enemies the last time Harry had seen him.

"Joel is finishing his ten o'clock appointment," Harry said, quietly and looked at the fire. His anxiety was rising, as he was alone with a Slytherin he didn't know well and, to his knowledge, hated mudbloods. At least, he hadn't been an outright supporter of Voldemort.

His guest was staring at him, but Harry didn't look back. Where the fuck was Joel?

"Are you alright, Potter?"

Harry just nodded as the trembling started. The walls were closing in.

"Are you sure?" The Slytherin seemed almost concerned.

Harry was saved from answering, when Joel knocked once and entered. "Sorry, took longer than I thought."

"I only just got here, no worries," he said, turning toward him and holding out his hand. Joel took it. "I'm Blaise Zabini."

"Joel," he said, shaking it and nodded toward him. "And you know Harry, of course."

"Harry? First names... it is?"

"Draco doesn't mind," Harry whispered.

"We must all do as Draco commands," Blaise said, with a little laugh. He didn't sound condescending, but Harry still couldn't look at him directly. Draco had earned his trust. Zabini hadn't.

Joel stepped forward to redirect attention to him. "Yes, we do. You and Draco were close?"

"As close as anyone could get to Draco. You're never going to find someone who has more walls than him."