378: The One Where Toni Steps Up

TONI POV:

"His dad isn't coming is he?" I ask Cheryl. We're both looking out the window at Jason who's sitting on the front stoop waiting for his dad to pick him up. "No." I take a deep breath. "What were they planning on doing today?" I ask quietly. "Go out for lunch at Pops, do some of Jason's favorite things." I nod. "I'll take him." I say quietly. She looks at me. "I had the same thing happened to me, he doesn't deserve this." I tell her. "You can't replace his dad." I nod. "I know, but I at least show up for my kid." I tell her. Cheryl and I both have our own kids, she has a son named Jason, he's 7. I have a daughter named Maria, she's 12 and lives with her dad. I had some issues with Alcohol and it was better while I was getting sober that she lived with her dad. We also decided that she should stay with him since her life had been established there. I see her all the time though and she stays over with me, Cheryl and Jason all the time! It's just she mainly lives with her dad. "You can be a dick sometimes." She says pissed. "It's true." She nods. "They were going to go to Pops, then the space museum! And I think maybe a comic book store and then Game Stop for some new video games." She tells me. "I'll take him." I tell her. "Does Maria want to join?" She ask quietly. "Her and Fangs are in Maine this weekend." I tell her. "You didn't want to go?" She ask quietly. "Seeing her grandparents on Fangs' side of the family!" I add. She nods. "I'm gonna go talk to him." I tell her. "I'll see you later." I say before kissing her. She smiles. "Be safe." I nod. "Of course." I says quietly. I walk out of the house and sit next to Jason. "He said he was gonna come." He says sadly. I nod. "I know." I whisper. "He's not coming is he?" I shake my head. "I'm sorry bud." I say rubbing his back. "How about we go and have some fun though?" I ask quietly. "Show him what he's missing." He perks up. "Really?" I nod. "Anything you want to do we can." I say quietly. "Well my dad and I were going to go to the space museum!" He says excitedly. "Still want to go?" He nods. "Can I get my ears pierced?" He ask quietly. I look at him. "I said anything you wanted to do today but not that. Your mom will kill me if I let you get your ears pierced without her permission. But maybe you can ask her later when we get back home." He nods.

I look at Jason as he eats his chicken tenders. "You're a good replacement for my dad." He says quietly. He looks at me. "Yeah?" He nods. I smile a little. "Yeah! You are nicer." I take a deep breath. "I'm sorry your dad didn't come." I tell him. "It's fine." He says quietly. "This will keep happening won't it?" I nod. "I'm sorry bud." I whisper. "At least Maria's dad comes and you go to her." He says quietly. "He's nice." I smile. "Yeah?" He nods. "Why aren't you guys together?" He ask quietly. "We didn't want to be in a relationship anymore." I tell him. "Why?" He ask. "We aren't playing this game bud." I smile. He nods.

I put Jason down and grab my keys. I unlock the door and Jason runs inside. I walk in. "Hi bu-." Cheryl starts to say before Jason runs past her to the bathroom. "He really had to pee." I tell her closing the door. She smiles. "Was today good?" I nod. "Yeah, I spoiled him and now I need to go back to work so we can pay rent this month." I joke. "We own this-." I stop her. "It was a joke." I tell her. "I know." She says quietly. "You know how I am." I nod.