Chapter 45 - Demon Culture

A pile of trembling people were squeezed in front of him... ah no, not people, they were demons. Although, just by looking at their appearance, there wasn't much of a difference.

The one in front shook with fear. "We usually just ... steal some small trinkets from the human world and take it back to exchange for some things."

The demonic race didn't have a common currency and mostly bartered. If something looked pleasing to the eye then they'd exchange for it—if not, then they would leave it. As for the demon race's level of craftsmanship and art, a piece of ordinary embroidery was equivalent to high-quality handiwork, so the various little trinkets of the human world were enthusiastically received. The things of least value were the various special crystals that were thought to be tacky and omnipresent in the demon world.

But what the demon world considered tacky and omnipresent was well received in the human world!

Shen Qingqiu snapped closed his fan. He said seriously, "This poor, remote, godforsaken place, producing ability is backward, the economy is not flourishing, and the people's happiness is lower than the average level. Despite this, you take advantage of others' misfortune and commit thievery—truly, this is something that should not be done."

The little demon was greatly confused.

How come he remembered when he was captured, this... great person was also in the middle of stealing... ah no, borrowing some clothes to wear?

And this folding fan that was happily waved around was the same.

Shen Qingqiu thought, I was forced by the circumstances—surely he should not have to keep wearing clothes dug from the ground, wandering around like a savage?

But this opened up a new avenue of thought. If you can give the little demons, previously only petty thieves, a means to acquire these small goods, could this possibly set up a prosperous and peaceful farming community, giving them new ground in a society based around cultivators fighting demons?

Shen Qingqiu, like an irresponsible YY novel character, thought that if he were to take some underlings under his wing, then he must first understand the opposing side's life. He asked amiably, "Do you eat rotten flesh?"

All the little demons shook their heads. Shen Qingqiu was just about to give a relieved sigh when he heard the leading little demon say resoundingly, "My father said only rich people can afford to eat rotten meat..."

Shen Qingqiu interrupted. "Enough."

It's hardly an economic question, ok! Luo Binghe, after he ascended to his position in the demon world, is enough of a big person, right? How come he's never seen him enjoy eating this type of thing!

A pause. He changed the question. "What is your name?"

The first one replied, "Six Balls."

Shen Qingqiu asked, "What does that mean?"

Six Balls said, "When I was born, my father held me and said I weighed six balls."

Shen Qingqiu: "..."

What kind of ball? Shot-put or ping-pong ball?! This kind of name is completely senseless.

The rest of them fought to not be the last to announce their name. None of them could endure being the last heard. It seemed they regarded this as quite an honor.

Are all the names given to ordinary demons of this practical/pragmatic type!

Family names didn't exist in demon culture and the names they chose were incredibly unrestrained and imaginative, brazen and bold. Those generals whose titles render people speechless—for example, the Sky Hammer Elder or Single-Arm Elder—anyone could tell that they'd climbed there from loser stage in a glance. But if born a noble—for example, Mo Bei-Jun, Sha Hualing, or Luo Binghe's father Tian Lang-Jun—their situation was slightly better.