Chapter 44

As I was putting my computer and speakers away, I listened to the conversation between Diane and Sméagol.

"Sméagol," she said, placing her hand on his shoulder, "you have the most beautiful voice I have ever heard. I saw you in the Lord of the Rings movies, but I did not know you could actually sing."

Sméagol's jaw dropped in shame. "You saw me, too?"

"I did."

"So... you knows what I did?"

"No. I saw what that dang ring did to you, what it made you do."

"You're a good man, Sméagol," said one of the residents as she approached Sméagol, joining in on the conversation.

Sméagol turned to the elderly woman.

"I'm Ellis, by the way."

"Ellis," Sméagol replied with a sweet smile. "Such a lovely name it is, Precious."

"Thank you, Honey."

"And, so beautiful you are, Ellis."

Ellis smiled. "And, so are you, Sméagol. Lord of the Rings is one of my all-time favorite movie trilogies. I watched it all the time with my husband and grandchildren."

"My son got me into the movies," added Diane, "and you were one of my favorite characters. I felt so bad for you. I wanted to reach through the screen, and give you a big hug."

Sméagol smiled sweetly at Diane and Ellis.

"I knew you wasn't a bad guy," said an elderly gentleman, approaching the threesome. "Now, that Gollum feller, I ain't so sure about. He was a real piece of work."

I shook my head, as I disagreed with that statement, but I didn't say anything.

Sméagol laughed softly. "He was, yes. Made Sméagol miserable, he did."

"I'm so sorry, Sweetheart," Diane said sadly, "but at least you're free of him now."

"And, free of that butt ugly ring," added the man.

I laughed to myself. I completely agree with that statement. The ring was so ugly in my opinion.

Sméagol giggled.

"It broke my heart so much when you fell off that cliff," said Ellis. "I was hoping you'd get a second chance, 'cause you deserved better. Now, you have. I don't know how you did, or how you got here, but I thank God you are. You touched my heart with your beautiful singing." She placed her hand on her heart. "I was crying when you sang that Johnny Cash song."

"Oh, I did, too," added Diane. "I knew why you were singin' it."

Tears began to form in Sméagol's eyes.

"Awww, you miss Déagol, don't you?"

Sméagol nodded. "More than miss him. Sméagol feels unbearable guilt. Sméagol never forgive himself."

"Oh, Sweetie." Ellis hugged him. "You didn't do anything to him."

"No, Sweetie," said Diane, "you are not responsible for his death."

"It was all that butt ugly ring," added the man.

Sméagol, Ellis, and Diane laughed.

"God forgave you a long time ago, son. Now, you need to forgive yourself."

"God?" Sméagol inquired.

"Eru," said Diane. "God is our version of Eru."

"Listen," said the man, reaching in his pocket, and handing Sméagol a small card, "every Sunday morning, I go to Greenflower Fellowship Church. If you're interested in learning about God and Jesus Christ, the service starts at eleven, and after, I want you to talk to Pastor Derek. Tell him Mike sent you."

Sméagol smiled. "Thank you."

I sat on a nearby sofa with my computer bag next to me, watching Sméagol mingle with the residents. They all told him how much they enjoyed his performance, how much his beautiful singing touched them, and what a wonderful person he truly was, despite what the ring made him do. It blew my mind how many Lord of the Rings fans there were in the nursing home, but all of them said the same things to him. None of what happened was his fault. They understood he had little to no control over his actions, even after he lost the ring, and he was a good, kind-hearted, caring, innocent man with the voice, soul, and heart of an angel. They told him that he did not deserve any of the horrible things he had to endure, and they were happy that he got his second chance. They told him how grateful they were to have him perform with me, and that the two of us make a great team. Everyone agreed that he should come back often to perform. Then, Diane wrote both of us separate checks, both for $100. I completely agreed that he should sing there more often, and even suggested that he have his own solo shows, too.

Before we left, Sméagol gave everyone big hugs, and thanked them for their kindness and love. Then, I picked up my computer bag, and we headed out the door together.