Chapter 10

That Friday, I picked out a few movies for Logan and I to watch, laid out a few fluffy blankets on the couch, and prettied myself up a bit. Since we were staying in, I didn't go too hard this time. I did my makeup, brushed my hair, and slipped into a comfy sweater dress.

"I'll wait until he gets here to order the pizza," said Hayley. "I keep forgetting what kind he likes."

"Okay, sounds good," I agreed.

"Awww, you look so cute." Hayley hugged me. "All ready for cuddling."

I grinned. "Yeah, under a pile of fluffy sweater blankets."

Hayley giggled. "I'll get the chips and sodas out."

"Okay." I followed Hayley into the kitchen as we continued talking.

"So, you gonna play your song for him tonight?" she asked.

"Yep. Maybe while we wait for the pizza."

"Sounds like a plan. It's such a beautiful song, Cheyenne. I know he's gonna love it."

"Thanks." Just then, my phone beeped. "Oh, that's probably him." I picked it up off the counter, and opened my text messaging app. Since I can't read the tiny text on the screen, my phone has a screen reader that reads everything out for me. "Yep, it's him. Hold on a sec." I double tapped on his name to read his message.

"Cheyenne, there is something I really need you to understand. I really like you, and look, this is not easy for me in any way. I just can't do with a relationship right now. I can't really do with it right now. I know that it's really hard for you to understand this. Believe me; I take no pleasure in writing this message. I do love you. I'm just not ready for the whole relationship ordeal. I really hope you can understand what I'm saying. This is nothing against you, dear. You can trust me. I don't mean to hurt you in any way. Understand what I am saying, where I am coming from. I'm not giving up on you. I'm just not ready for this. This is not your fault. You're still my friend."

My heart sank to the pit of my stomach, and shattered into a million pieces.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Hayley said angrily. "Over a year together, and all of a sudden, he's not ready? What the hell?!"

I didn't even bother answering his message, nor did I even exit out of the app before shutting off the screen. I placed my phone back down on the counter, and stared at it for a moment, hoping he would message me back, saying it was all a mistake, that someone else sent that message, or that he didn't mean any of it. However, I knew in my heart that it wasn't a joke or a mistake. It was really over.

"Cheyenne... are you okay, Sweetie?" asked a worried Hayley.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out for a few seconds. I couldn't think of what to say. So many thoughts racing through my jolted brain, and then, I spoke. "I knew it was too good to be true." And, with that, I exploded into an ocean of tears and uncontrollable wailing and sobbing.

Hayley threw her arms around me, and pulled me into a tight hug. "Shhhh, it's okay, Sweetie," she said softly. "It's okay. I'm here. It's gonna be okay, Sweetheart."