Chapter 33

However, the moment of truth would come that night. While I was getting ready for bed, I wondered how I would be able to handle everything.

"So, Sméagol," Hayley said as she was making my bedtime snack, "we have extra bedrooms if you'd like to stay here."

Sméagol's face lit up. "Really? Sméagol live here with nice humanses?"

"Of course. Besides, I think you'll be a lot more comfortable in a warm bed rather than a cave."

"Oh, yes, much more comfy, Precious."

"Well, give me a few minutes, and I'll make up your bed for you."

When Hayley finished making my snack, we all went upstairs together. I put my snack down in my room, and came out to help Hayley and Sméagol. The room she picked for him was right next to my room. Hayley put a fresh pair of sheets on the bed and a warm, fuzzy comforter. She showed Sméagol how all the electronics worked––the overhead lights, bedside lamp, and the television, and helped him put all his clothes away.

"So, what do you think?" Hayley asked.

Sméagol sat down on the bed. "Oh, so warm, so soft, so comfy the bed is! Haven't slept in a bed in so long."

"I'll bet."

"Hayley?"

"Yeah?"

"Does Sméagol have to take off onesie to sleep?"

"Nope, not if you don't want to. I sleep in mine all the time. They're so comfortable."

"Good. Sméagol too comfy in nice onesie."

"Then, go ahead, and sleep in it. This is your home now, Sméagol. We want you to be comfortable and happy."

Sméagol smiled. "Sméagol very happy, Precious," he said sweetly.

"Awww, I'm glad, Sweetheart." Hayley gave him a big hug. "Good night, Sméagol."

"Good night, my precious friend," Sméagol said, returning the hug, and planting a little kiss on Hayley's cheek.

Hayley smiled warmly as she turned to me. "Good night, Sweetie." She gave me a big hug and a kiss on the forehead. "Love you, my baby sissy-poo."

Sméagol giggled.

"Night, Hayley," I replied, returning the hug. "Big fluffy sweater hugs," I said in a silly voice.

Hayley and Sméagol giggled.

"Yes, very big fluffy sweater hugs," said Hayley as she squeezed me tighter, giggling like an innocent little girl.

"Ow, I snickered.

"Oh!" Hayley squeaked. "Whoops, you got your hair stuck in my zipper."She carefully removed my hair. "There you go, Sweetie-Pie."

The three of us snickered at the comical situation.

"Well, nighty-night," Hayley said sweetly as she headed for bed.

I looked at Sméagol, hoping for a hug from him. "Well, good night, Sméagol," I said awkwardly.

"Good night, Cheyenne," he replied.

"Um... okay." I turned hesitantly. I really didn't want to ask for a hug. I felt dumb doing that. Why? I don't know.

"What is it, Precious?"

"Oh, uh... nothing," I said, laughing awkwardly. "Um, yeah... good night."

As I started to walk out, Sméagol came up behind me, and gently took hold of my arm. "Come here, Precious," he said sweetly, pulling me into a big hug. "Sméagol knows what it wants. It wanted a hug, didn't it?"

"Yeah," I said awkwardly, but so happy to get that hug. "I just... didn't wanna ask."

"Why?"

"I'm just really awkward sometimes."

"Awwww, it's alright, my precious. Always Cheyenne can ask Sméagol for hugses. Sméagol loves hugses."

"Big fluffy sweater hugses?" I said in my silly voice.

Sméagol giggled. "Yes, biggest, fluffiest sweater hugses." He rubbed my arms and backside while hugging me. "Oh, so soft your sweater dress is. So snuggly it makes your hugses."

I laughed softly and smiled at Sméagol. "Your hugs are snuggly, too, Sméagol."

Sméagol giggled again.

"Well, good night."

"Awww, good night, Precious." Sméagol squeezed me a little tighter for a few seconds. Then, he planted a kiss on my cheek. "Sleep well, my beautiful friend."

"You, too."

Unfortunately, I did not sleep well that night. I kept seeing Logan's face in my dreams, seeing him with his new girlfriend, and hearing his words echoing in my head––all his promises he made me, all the sweet things he used to say to me, and even his beautiful singing. Then, I heard his voice repeating the words he said to me when he broke up with me. Oh, oops, the words he texted me. I even heard him repeat his message from earlier. It went back and forth from the things he said when we were together to things he said to me when and after we broke up. I even heard him saying the same sweet things to his new girlfriend, and watched him kiss her right in front of me as if I wasn't even there. Every time I woke up, I would be relieved for a moment that it was all a dream. Then, I would begin to miss Logan again, and I broke down sobbing quietly until I fell back asleep, only to have the same dreams again.