Chapter 37

Soon, it was time for karaoke. Callahan's is a bit different from most karaoke places. Yes, it had a KJ with a computer system and a song catalog. However, there was also a piano for anyone who wanted to sing a song that wasn't in the catalog, and knew how to play the song themselves. Most of the songs Hayley and I sing are not in the catalog, so Hayley always plays the accompaniment when either of us sing.

"Alright, everyone," the KJ announced, "let's get this party started! First up,we have the lovely and talented Hayley!"

Hayley marched up to the piano, sat down, and began to play and sing a beautiful, slowed-down rendition of "Stand By You" by Rachel Platten.

While she sang, Sméagol and I looked at each other, listening to the lyrics. He reached out his hand, and took hold of mine. Then, he wrapped his other arm around my shoulder, and pulled me close. "Sméagol always stand by you, Precious," he whispered to me.

"Ditto," I replied.

Abby smiled.

"Wow!" the KJ said after Hayley finished. "What a voice! Okay, next up is Abby!"

"Oh, shit!" Abby groaned. "I have to follow that?"

"Abby, you're freaking awesome," I chuckled.

"Thanks, girl." Abby stepped up to the mic. Her song was a popular country song, so she did not need anyone to play the accompaniment for her. Instead, she selected it from the song catalog, and the KJ played the backing track from his system. Abby sang "Burning House" by Cam, and wow, she nailed it.

Why didn't she think she was very good? I wondered to myself. That really makes me sad.

"Bless us, and splash us, Precious," Sméagol exhaled, "such a beautiful voice Abby has!"

"I know," I agreed, "but she doesn't think she's that good."

"Why?" Sméagol asked sadly.

"I don't know, because she's amazing."

"That makes Sméagol sad."

"She doesn't really have any self confidence," said Hayley. "She's been treated like shit her whole life, so she still believes all the horrible things people told her about herself."

"Awwwww," Sméagol cried, putting his hand on his heart, "poor Abby. Sméagol's heart breaks for her."

Hayley and I smiled sadly. Sméagol's compassion deeply touched us, but at the same time, we felt the exact same way.

When she finished, we all cheered and applauded loudly for her, because we wanted her to know how amazing she really was.

"Ugh, that sucked," she said as she sat back down.

"No, it didn't," Hayley said sweetly.

"You sounded amazing!" I added.

"Please, you guys always say that," Abby scoffed. "I sounded like a dying walrus."

"Abby, Sweetheart, you sang beautifully," said Hayley.

"You're just saying that to be nice," said Abby. "Sméagol, tell me the truth. I sucked, right?"

"No," Sméagol said sadly, "it sounded so beautiful, Precious."

"Abby, you know me," I said. "I don't lie. I don't say things to be nice. I don't suck up to people. When I compliment you, I mean it. I've heard people that suck, and you are not one of them. You have an amazing voice, and I wouldn't have asked you to join the choir if I didn't think you were good enough."

Abby smiled. "Thanks, Cheyenne."

I could tell she still didn't believe me, but I didn't try to pick at it.

"Alright," the KJ announced, "next up, we have the lovely Cheyenne!"

Hayley led me up to the stage, and accompanied me on the piano for a rendition of "Lithium" by Evanescence. For me, the song was about Logan. Logan was my "lithium." I was torn between letting him go and holding onto him. I was still in love with him, but at the same time, I wanted to move on. Still, the thought of letting him go devastated me.

When Hayley and I came back to the table after finishing the song, Sméagol threw his arms around me, sobbing heavily.

"Awww, you okay, Sméagol?" Hayley asked.

"So beautiful it was," Sméagol wept as he kissed my cheek. "My precious friend, your voice is... the most beautiful sound Sméagol ever heard."

"Oh, my God, Sméagol," I sniffled, "you are so freaking sweet."

Sméagol smiled sweetly at me. "Awwww, bless you."

"Alright, y'all!" the KJ announced. "This party's just gettin' started! Next up we have Sméagol! Wait, Sméagol?" he said, realizing who's name he just called. "Well, someone's a huge Lord of the Rings fan," he joked.

We all laughed as Hayley and Sméagol headed for the stage. She handed him the mic, and sat down at the piano.

"Wait a minute," said the KJ, "you really are Sméagol!"

Sméagol smiled awkwardly and nodded.

"Wow, you're taller than you were in the movies."

Sméagol laughed softly.

Then, Hayley began to play the accompaniment, and Sméagol sang a beautiful, heartwarming, emotional rendition of "The Blessing" by Celtic Woman. His voice sounded even more beautiful than it did in the shower. It was a sweet, soft, pure voice with so much feeling, so much pain, and yet so much love and joy. As he performed, everyone in the room was completely silent, watching him the whole time with tears pouring from their eyes. Even the KJ shed a few tears. Through it all, however, Sméagol only kept his eyes on me.

When he finished, everyone leaped up, cheering and applauding loudly. He smiled warmly at the crowd, and even blew them a kiss. Then, he and Hayley headed back to the table, where I was sobbing uncontrollably.

Sméagol wrapped his arms around me. "What is it, Precious?" he asked sweetly.

I could barely speak through my sobs. "It was... It was... That was so beautiful." I managed to finally squeeze in one sentence between sobs and gasps. "Your voice is... You sound like an angel."

"Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!" Sméagol cried, his eyes filled with tears as he held me tighter. "So sweet you are, Cheyenne. Sméagol sing that song for you, my dear, precious friend. Always you blesses me. So kind you are to me, not judging me, ever. So grateful I am to know you."

We stayed for a couple more hours, and we each managed to sing two more songs. Everyone clapped and cheered for us, but even more for Sméagol. Gosh, I was worried that people would judge him so harshly. Anyone who is a fan of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit knows who Gollum is, and they also know who Sméagol is. Unfortunately, a lot of people see him as a villain and a monster. However, nobody at Callahan's saw him that way. Even if there were people who knew who he was, and yes, there were a few, including the KJ, all they saw was beauty, kindness, and a sweet, innocent, loving soul with the voice of an angel. That night, Sméagol touched so many hearts with his singing, but the heart that was most affected by it was mine. I really felt like, in my darkest time, God had sent me an angel.