Chapter 19

Hayley stopped on the way home to pick up a pizza for the two of us. When we got home, we both changed out of our choir attire, and into something more comfortable. I changed into a soft, comfy sweater dress, and she changed into a fuzzy green onesie. Just like her pink one, it zipped up in the front, and had a long, curly tail in the back. We sat on the sofa together, watching sitcoms and chatting away.

"Well," Hayley said, "our next choir rehearsal isn't until the end of August."

"Oh, thank God," I said, relieved. "I mean, I love choir. I just––"

"I know. Seeing Logan makes it hard to enjoy it."

"Actually, hearing him does."

"Yeah, I understand, Sweetie, but maybe by then, you'll be able to handle it easier."

"I hope so. That, or hopefully, he won't have any solos."

Hayley chuckled. "But, if you're still having trouble, you can take a break if you need to."

"I..." I felt bad even thinking about dropping out. "I don't know."

"We joined the choir, so we could have fun. If you're not having fun, because you're still struggling with your feelings for Logan, you should take a break, until you're sure you can handle it. You don't have to decide now. It's only May. But, I really hope things will turn around for you soon."

I sighed heavily. "You know, when I was getting ready earlier..." I suddenly felt very awkward saying what I was about to say out loud. "This is so silly, but... I was looking at one of the pictures of Sméagol, and... I was... imagining him telling me that everything would be okay."

"Awwwww, that's so sweet."

"I know I'm crazy, but... I wish... I don't know. I wish he was real."

"Aww, Sweetie." Hayley wrapped her arm around me. "You're not crazy at all. I understand. He brings you comfort, and he means something special to you."

"Can I ask a dumb question?"

"You can ask me anything."

"What do you think he would do if he was real, and he knew what was going on with me?"

"He would give you the biggest hug, and he would tell you that everything will be okay. I think he'd be there for you."

I wiped a few tears from my eyes.

"Oh! I'll be right back!" Hayley jumped up, and ran up the stairs with her tail bouncing behind her as she giggled like an innocent child. She came back down a minute later, carrying the Sméagol doll she bought a few weeks back. She placed the doll in my lap. "Here, Sweetie. I want you to have this."

"But... are you sure?" I asked hesitantly. "I mean, it's yours."

"Actually, I bought it for you."

"Me?"

"When I saw the look on your face when I showed him to you, I knew you'd get attached to him, so I knew I had to get it. I was saving it for when you became the big fan you are now." She smiled at me. "I know you so well, Cheyenne. I know what makes you happy, and I knew Sméagol would make you so happy, even before you saw the movies."

"Wow..." I didn't know what to say. I looked at the beautiful doll. It looked exactly like the real Sméagol, very high in detail, so beautifully made. I felt myself tearing up a little, and I smiled at Hayley. "Thank you so much, Hayley."

Hayley hugged me. "Awww, you're welcome, Sweetie."

"You're the best sister ever."

"Awwww, I feel the same way about you, too." She kissed my forehead.

I hugged the Sméagol doll, and oh, my gosh, it felt like I was getting an actual hug from Sméagol himself.

"Awww, you're so cute."

I chuckled. "By the way, when you ran up the stairs, I saw your tail jiggling and bouncing around."

Hayley giggled. "Yeah, I love when that happens. It's so funny. I wish I actually did have a long, fuzzy, bouncy, springy tail."

"Not me. My big butt's enough for me to deal with."

Hayley giggled.

"But, you would look really pretty with a tail."

"Awwwwwww, Sweetie." Hayley gave me a big hug. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Hayley. You're the best big sister in the world."

"Awwwww." Hayley giggled again, and kissed my cheek. "Well, you're the best baby sister in the world."

"Damn it, you're so sweet."

Hayley giggled even more, and gave me an even bigger hug.

When I went to bed that night, I thought of my amazing sister, and wondered how I got so lucky. Even though so many people judged me, turned on me, and treated me like dirt, Hayley never blinked. She never made me feel less about myself. She was always there for me, and she was the sweetest person I knew. She was so sugary sweet and lovey-mushy, and I was so lucky and blessed to be on the receiving end of that unbelievable, overwhelming, insane amount of sugary sweetness. She was a truly beautiful person, and I was blessed to be her younger sister.

I snuggled up with my Sméagol doll, and feeling his arms around me, it was almost as if he was actually holding me. "I wish you were real, Sméagol," I whispered as I closed my eyes, and drifted off to sleep in his arms.