34. Thumbs Up

Cassie's 1st Person POV

"Auntie! food!" My little two year-old niece, Tori,  clings on my long skirt, begging for food, while I stand by the kitchen island, talking to my Aunt Patricia about the clients I have been working with at my salon. I tell my aunt to give me a second and I look down at the adorable girl.

"Tori, do you want bibingka or lumpia?" I ask the cutie pie staring up at me.

"Both!" She squeals, and I giggle at how precious my niece sounded.

"Here, I'll give you lumpia," I say out loud, which makes Tori cheer. I reach in the middle of the island where there is a huge plate of lumpia that my mom, Maggie, had just fried outside in the back patio. I break the lumpia in half, knowing one would be too big for her to eat.

"Thanks, Auntie!" Tori grabs the lumpia and runs away, giggling. I laugh at her cute voice and the sight of her running back into the living room, where a lot of the party guests are congregated. I pop the other half of the lumpia into my mouth and chew on it. Then, I turn my attention back to my aunt and we continue our discussion.

It's currently 7:30 on a Saturday night. I've been at my parents house since 2pm. Ross had picked me up to have lunch first while everyone was setting up for the party.

Party guests, who consists of mostly family and close family friends, have been showing up since 5pm. It wasn't until a half hour ago until more people really started filling up the house. Tons of guests are roaming around inside and outside my parents' home.

"Jin, over here!" I hear my mom, Lynn, speak out loud as she enters the kitchen. Both my Aunt Patricia and I turn to look over to the entryway of the kitchen and I see Jin following my mom. He's carrying two giant trays of food, one stacked on top of the other.

"Jin you can place it here by the lechon!" Lynn orders Jin as she moves food around on the giant dining table, making room for Jin's food. I excuse myself from my aunt, who ends up heading into the living room to mingle with other guests. I walk over and help Jin take off the lid of one of the food trays. He ended up bringing japchae and Korean fried chicken. Most of the main dishes that my mom, Maggie, and my Uncle Joe have prepared consists of Filipino dishes and American comfort food. Im one-fourth Filipino, but some people can't really tell what my ethnicity is.

"Lynn, all this food looks amazing," Jin praises as he grabs a piece of lechon and stuffs it in his mouth. He groans out loud, savoring the flavors of the meat and skin.

"You'll have to tell Maggie and her brother since they prepared a good amount of the food! They're outside frying up more lumpia! Anyway, I need to head back into the backyard to talk to my brother about something. You enjoy the party, Jin!" My mom pats Jin's back as he nods at her and she eventually disappears from the kitchen.

"Come sit with me at the kitchen island so you can finally fucking tell me what's going on with you, Jeongguk and Yoongi!" Jin says in an enthusiastic tone. I giggle at him and we both settle onto kitchen stools placed by the island.

"So, what do you want to know, Jin?" I ask as I take a lumpia off the plate and bite a piece off.

"First, I see you and Kook saying 'I love you' on Instagram, and then when I texted you yesterday, you were staying at Yoongi's house for the night with him and Kook! Spill the beans, Woman!" The words come out spastically out of Jin, and again, I can't help but giggle at his interest in my love life.