6. Partner-In-Crime

Cassie's 1st Person POV

I look at my phone as it buzzes, indicating a notification.

It's a text from Ian.

Ian:
Hey Cass, it's been a while. Do you think we can meet up? Please? I'm leaving for Chicago in a week.

I look at my phone, debating whether or not I should respond. I don't know why I reply, but I do it anyway. I guess I'm curious.

Cassie:
Chicago?

I knew he was moving somewhere for work but I didn't know it was to Chicago.

He replies immediately and my phone vibrates once again. I reluctantly read his text.

Ian:
That's where my company's headquarters are. Moving is the main reason why I wanted you and I to take a break.

I roll my eyes and reply.

Cassie:
No, you broke up with me 'cause there was someone else. Even your sister threw you under the bus and brought up Bianca.

After Ian initially broke up with me, one of the people I turned to was his sister, Hannah. She and I became close during the time Ian and I were together. She even voiced how she loved me being with her brother. The day after he ended things, I went to her, and she confessed to me how she found out something was going on between him and a coworker named Bianca but she wasn't completely sure about everything.

Hannah told Ian to nip it in the bud with Bianca, but he had admitted to her that he, Bianca and a couple other colleagues were being promoted but they would have to transfer to another state where the headquarters are, in Chicago, Illinois.

My phone goes off again.

Ian:
Bianca means nothing to me now. Please hear me out. Asking for a break was a mistake. Please, can we talk?

Cassie:
You're moving to Chicago. That's your chance to start fresh. You should try with Bianca or whatever. You don't need me anymore. And, I don't need you.

"Can you stop texting and give me the attention I deserve?!" Jin obnoxiously whines at me as he sits across from me at the dining table in his kitchen.

I look up and roll my eyes at one of my best friends.

"Jin, you're on your phone, too!" I chide. We both proceed to playfully give each other offended looks.

"I'm only on my social media because you started getting really into whatever is occupying you on your phone!" He blows up without taking a breather.

"Calm, down, dork! Jackass texted me," I simply inform him.

"Ian? Stop wasting your time with that fuckface, honestly. You should get on some dating apps! I can help you find someone new!" Jin wiggles his brows at me.

"Jin, I'm not ready, but when the time comes, I'll let you set up my dating profile, okay?" I bargain and softly smile at him.