He treated Somi, the Old Mistress, and even his mortal enemies that way. On the other hand, there were many instances when he failed to express his love for Jennie!

Jennie's heart throbbed painfully when she initially heard the conversation between Hanbin and Feng Rao. Now that she had calmed down, she was not as conflicted and emotional as the first time when she returned from the cemetery.

After so many bitter experiences, it seemed as though Jennie had finally found a sense of balance in her mind. She thought to herself and realized that when the truth finally came to light, it would not be surprising if her and Lisa argued and broke up!

After dinner

Jennie pulled Yeji over at the doorway of Upper Mansion. She quietly asked, "Where did you go yesterday?"

There was a gloomy expression on Yeji's face while she shook her head. "Nothing happened. I was just harassed by a pervert but it's over!"

Jennie was still somewhat worried. Lu Shan had not realized anything but Jennie knew Yeji better. She had never worn shirts with high collars before. Despite today's hot weather, she was tightly wrapped up like a dumpling...

"My brother knows where I went!"

Yeji recalled how that mysterious man had mentioned Lisa when he finally sent her home. "Tell Third Young Master Manoban that I've returned his belongings in perfect condition. However, I'll take what's mine sooner or later!"

Jennie knew that it was useless for her to question the matters that involved Lisa.

There was an artificial lake to the north of Hibiscus Garden. As it was already summer, the white lotuses in the man-made lake were in full bloom and thriving beautifully.

She decided to take a stroll there because she was rather full from dinner.

The artificial lake was not large but the water levels ranged in depth. Jennie had frequently played here with Yeji when they were younger. They had even caught mudskippers in the swallow muddy water during the summer.

She was already ten years old at that time. She tied her hair in little pigtails and rolled up her pants as she taught Yeji how to catch the mudskippers...

Jennie circled the artificial pond while enjoying the quietness now. She recalled the carefree days of her youth.

The summer breeze blew gently. The shallow part of the lake was cooler and more serene than the other areas.

Jennie's heart was filled with fond memories of her happy past. She even wondered whether she would remain at the Manoban Family Mansion if she could live her life again and choose a different path.

"Jennie?"

The other woman's voice sounded rather frosty despite the warm summer breeze.

Jennie turned around and saw that Somi was following her. Her eyes were piercingly cold.

"Yes?"

The fog in her heart had recently vanished, but it had returned to suffocate her again.

She had no choice but to give her the cold shoulder because she refused to meet Somi's gaze.

"Were you proud of my performance tonight?"

Somi's bewitching face broke out into a faint smile.

"My position in the Manoban Family will be secured as long as the Old Mistress agrees. Brother Lisa may go back on his word and attempt to send me away, but he can't do anything without the Old Mistress' permission!

"As long as I remain in the Manoban Family, I can take back everything that belongs to me. Don't you agree?"

She was threatening her again!

Jennie's heart felt terribly constricted. Why was she always here? She should have been an actress since she loved stealing the limelight so much!

"Somi, weren't you highly educated?"

Jennie ignored Somi's smug expression and said something that was irrelevant to the current topic.

Somi was stunned and confused.

"If that's the case, I don't understand how you ruined such a good hand of cards. Why did you waste your whole life chasing someone else's man?"

Jennie immediately retaliated without holding back.

Only then did Somi react. Her expression instantly changed as the rage in her eyes burned brighter. "Jennie, do you think that you played no part in my current situation?"

Jennie coldly said, "At least I'd never harmed you directly! You can ask Lisa if you still don't believe me."

Jennie was raised well. Although her personality had been unruly since she was young before she suddenly became indifferent as she grew older, she had never been unkind. She was quite shocked that she could treat Somi like this.

Somi was speechless. Ashamed, she flew into a rage while wishing that she could rip Jennie apart. "You never hurt me directly, but if it wasn't for you, wouldn't I be sitting next to Lisa today?"

----------------------------------------
*DO NOT VOTE PLEASE*