Chapter 40

I was slowly approaching my mother's house and I was getting more nervous with every meter.
My cell phone rang incessantly and I knew it was Mason.
Why is he still chasing me?
He probably has something else he can use to hurt me and is desperate to tell me.
When I finally arrived at my mom's house, I was really nervous.
What am I supposed to tell her, please?

,,Hi mom you were right Mason was just using me and now I'm homeless and living with my ex enemy who turns out to be really nice and I can't control my life anymore?"

That sounds awful!

When I rang the doorbell, no one answered.
Strange, she was supposed to be home by now.
When I rang again and she still didn't open, I took out my key and opened the door myself.

Maybe she was shopping or taking a shower.
In the meantime I could wait in the living room and think about what to say to her.
At home, as usual, it was very tidy and it seemed that no one was there.
I sat down on the couch and called my mother.
Her cell phone was on the table.
Why didn't she take her cell phone with her?
I looked at her phone and she had 15 missed calls from her work.
Slowly, I started to get worried.
Where the hell is she?
I got up from the sofa and started looking for her.
Maybe she was just in her bed getting some rest.

I went to her room, but there was no one there.
Only a letter.
The letter said: for my daughter Britney.

I was starting to get really nervous.
I really wanted to open the letter, but first I had to go to the bathroom or I would pee my pants.

I put the letter back on her bed and went into the bathroom.
There was a funny smell in the bathroom and the window was open.
The smell was coming from the bathtub.
I pulled the curtain from the bathtub to the side so I could look at what smelled so funny.

I froze.

I saw my mother lying in the bathtub with her eyes open, pale all over her body and swimming in her own blood.

At that moment I didn't realize what was happening, but I heard myself screaming.
The water of the bathtub was red from her blood, which was running from her wrists.
I screamed and began to tremble.
Frozen, I could not move.
I had already had such a feeling about 11 years ago when I was 7 and found my father dead in the kitchen.
I don't know how long I stared at my dead mother and stood there frozen, but it felt like hours.

I think I heard my cell phone ring.

However, I wasn't sure, because at that moment I didn't hear anything.

I looked at my cell phone.
It was Mason.

Without hesitation, I answered it.

,,Britney? Thank God you answered. I've called you a thousand times. Listen, I'm sorry about what happened. Can I see you, please? I'll explain everything," he said.

I didn't answer and still saw my dead mother in the bathtub, who had slit her wrists.

,,Britney?" Mason asked me.

,,Are you okay? Look, I'm sorry, but please talk to me," he said.

I still couldn't realize what was happening.
I wasn't even crying, I was just standing there.

,,Mason isn't it strange that things like this keep happening to me?" I said in a calm voice.

,,Britney what do you mean?" He asked worriedly.

,,I've always been a good person, at least I've tried to be.
But for some reason, this is the second time this has happened to me," I said, staring at my mother.