Chapter 38

I could not sleep half the night, when I woke up in the morning Ruby was already in the kitchen.

,,Good morning," I said.

,,Hi, I made coffee" she explained.

,,Thank you, you are my salvation" I said.

,,You can stay here as long as you want, but under one service, you do the dishes and you are not allowed to bring friends here" she explained.

,,Thank you, but I think I will visit my mother tomorrow and apologize to her so that she will pay for my dormitory again" I explained.

,,All right" she said.

I drank my coffee and leaned on the kitchen table.

,,What happened yesterday? So, after I ran away?" I asked.

,,Well, after you ran away, Mason ran after you but Carla stopped him, the two of them got into such a big fight that everyone in the living room realized what had happened, so when I realized that, I ran after you," she explained, straightening her glasses.

,,Oh," I said.

,,Thank you, I would have collapsed without you" I explained.

,,I don't like you, but I hate people like Carla," she explained.

,,People like Carla?" I asked.

,,Yes, people who manipulate you and use you, people like that always want to put you in the shade and they would do anything to make you feel bad," she said.

,,But that doesn't sound like Carla at all," I said.

,,I know you believe that, she is toxic and has brainwashed you over time" she said.

,,Well, she was always there for me when I was at my lowest," I said.

,,I can't imagine a princess like you having a bad life" she said and walked over to the couch.

I followed her and sat down next to her.

,,Why do so many people tell me that?" I asked.

,,Well, because you have a perfect life and never had any worries," she explained.

,,You believe that?" I asked.

,,Yes," she admitted.

,,My father was an alcoholic and often beat my mother and me, he spent all our money on alcohol. I lived in the worst part of my town at the time, one day, I was still young, I found my father who had taken his own life in the kitchen.
My mother collapsed and I had to spend years in therapy. He had left us with nothing and my mother had to work shift after shift to provide for me.
At the beginning of 16 I started working to be able to help her, I worked until late at night and in the morning I studied for school. Do you know how exhausting it is to always bring home an A+ so I could have a better future?" I said.

Ruby sat there in shock.

,,Shit Britney, I didn't know, I'm sorry" she said.

,,Well, that's okay, I would have estimated you quite differently," I said.

,,Yeah, when you look at me like that, you don't expect me to live here in a nice apartment and dress very differently" she explained and laughed.

,,Why do you do it then, if you're not really like that?" I asked.

She was silent for a second.

,,I was just like you, naive and innocent.
I had big plans, I was going to travel the world and become a photographer in New York.
Until this guy came along that I fell in love with, his name was Erik.
At first he was great.
He helped me with everything and he made me feel special, but as time went on he got aggressive about the smallest things and would often hit me until I was on the floor.
My whole family disowned me because of him and left me alone with no money.
When I wanted to separate from him because I didn't want to live like that anymore, he beat me until I lost consciousness.
That day he raped me several times and that's how I lost my virginity," she said.

I was shocked by her story and I just wanted to hug her.

,,One day I got up and I just didn't want to live like that anymore, I walked out of the front door without money, food or extra clothes.
Just me.
I ran as far away as I could and arrived at a bus stop and got on the first best bus.
The bus finally brought me here and I found Trixie who showed me the sorority, I lived in the sorority for a while and worked hard so I could afford this place" she said.

I saw Ruby with a whole different set of eyes now.
She was such a strong woman.

,,Ruby, I am so sorry, your story is admirable" I said.

,,Yes, and since that day I have sworn not to let anyone get close to me, I became mean and cold and gave up all my goals.
I never saw Erik again," she said.

I had never seen her so emotional.

,,I loved him so much that I even forgave him every time because I knew I couldn't live without him.
He apologized every after he hit me and every damn time I believed him.
I learned one thing from that, if he hits you once, he can apologize all he wants and tell you all he wants that he will never do it again, but he will...if he hits you once, he will do it a second time." She said.

I felt a connection between me and Ruby that was so strong I couldn't describe it.

,,That's why I followed you, because at that moment I saw myself in you," she explained.

,,Thank you Ruby" I said.

She smiled at me and then went into the bathroom.
I had to process all of this first, right now Ruby was the only person I had and for that I was grateful.
I looked at my cell phone to see what the weather was going to be like tomorrow so I could go to my mom's house.

79 missed calls from Mason.

I stared at my phone, who does he think he is calling me after what he did yesterday?
My chest tightened again and tears came to my eyes.

,,I'm sorry, please call me. I'm worried." Mason had texted me.

I deleted all messages and blocked him.
I wiped away my tears and decided to ban Mason from my life once and for all.
I looked at my phone again and there was also a message from Carla.

,,Hey, are you okay? Please call me," she wrote.

I rolled my eyes as another text message arrived from her.

,,I have to visit a friend, so I'll be gone the whole week" she wrote.

I'm glad she's out of town because I really didn't want to see her.
I don't know what to do with Carla yet, but one thing is for sure.

Mason Davis is in the past for me.