Chapter 72

The police and paramedics rushed into City Hall and I was still on the floor with Mason.

,,Ma'am, we'll take care of him," the paramedic said, gently pushing me away.

I felt like I was going to die.
They lifted Mason onto a gurney and took him outside.
I sat rooted to the floor and I heard a police officer trying to talk to me, but I didn't hear anything.
If Mason died, I could never forgive myself.
He's only dead because of me.
Because my best friend shot him.
It was my fault.
I looked up for a second, and the only thing I saw was Carla being put into a hearse.
There was blood everywhere and when I looked down at myself, I was actually bleeding too.
Carla had also hit me on the hip.

,,She would get shot too! We need help here!" I heard the policeman yell before my eyes went black and I fell to the ground.

How could I not have realized that I had been shot myself?
I think I was so panicked that I forgot myself.
I felt someone carrying me onto a stretcher and then taking me outside.
I felt the cold wind in my face and that I was being taken to an ambulance.
When I tried to open my eyes, I saw Ruby crying and wrapped in a blanket.
The police officers were asking her questions and she was still shaking.
I was in the ambulance and when I looked around Mason was right next to me.
He looked weak and he was attached to equipment.
I took my very last ounce of strength and tried to reach for his hand.
I took his cold hand and squeezed it gently.
I started to cry because the thought of losing him was destroying me, when suddenly I felt a pressure on my hand.
I stopped crying and looked at my hand.

Mason was squeezing my hand lightly with his thumb.

He is alive.