XIII

Trigger Warning 🚸

17 years ago...

"Saint, Papa, please," Naala sighed when he carried on kicking his foot. "We've got to put your shoes on so we can go,"

"I don't want to go," Four year old Saint crossed his arms,

"Why? Why can't you just behave? For me?" Naala said tearfully,

"I don't want to leave daddy," Saint frowned,

"Shhh," Naala put her hand over his mouth. "We don't talk about that. Can you be a big boy and do this while I get your sister ready?"

"Fine," He huffed leaning down. Naala nodded and got up from the floor, taking their bags with her.

"Hi my perfect angel," She cooed entering Malia's nursery. Malia was sat up, with her hand in her mouth, "Can I get a hello back?" Naala lifted her up.

Malia stared at her blankly at her, not responding to Naala at all. Her lack of attention or inability to communicate was worrying Naala.

"Okay, let's get ready," Naala said lowly, laying her down on the changing table.

"Mom am I going to school today?" Sinai came into the nursery,

"No, you're not going today," Naala responded turning back to her. "Did you pack your things like I asked?"

"Daddy said he'll do it," Sinai said making Naala pause,

"You told your dad?" Naala said biting her lip, "Why would you do that? It was our secret,"

"He asked me so I said we were going to stay with Nana, did I do something wrong?" Sinai asked blinking at her mom.

"No, you didn't," Naala tried to keep calm, "It doesn't matter, it will be fine," She tried to convince herself.

"Naala!" Dave's voice boomed through the house, causing shivers to run through Naala's spine. "Where are you?" His voice got louder.

"Go and get your brother," Naala rushed Sinai out of the room. She concentrated on getting Malia dressed,

"You think you're taking my kids?" Dave asked stepping into the room. The smell of alcohol swept the room, quickly entering Naala's nose.

"You're drunk," Naala said lifting Malia up and placing her on her feet. Malia clung to her legs, with one hand still in her mouth.

"That's not what I asked you," Dave stepped forward, lifting Malia up. Naala stepped back,

"You're too close Amir, we're going to stay with my mom for the weekend, that's it," Naala lied, she had no intention to come back.

"You think I'm stupid Naala?" He asked lifting his hand up to put it on her face.

Naala winced when he trailed his finger over the bruise beneath her eye. Dave clenched his jaw,

"I thought I told you to cover that shit up," He said angrily,

"I haven't done my makeup yet," Naala defended quickly,

"You was gonna go by your mom's and claim I did that right?" He gripped her chin,

"I wasn't but I can't stay when you're like this," She responded quietly, "I'm scared of you and I can't have you around my babies Amir, I can't,"

"So where are you gonna go?" Dave asked her, "You don't have any money, it's all mine, every car out there, I bought it,"

Naala ignored him and took Malia from him, which he let her do, surprisingly. Dave watched Naala leave the room, following behind her.