III

Comment + Vote 🤍
Omniscient
Lincoln Correctional Facility
Maximum Security
Day 730 out of 3650

Naala laid in her cell with her eyes closed. All the noise of the other inmates surrounded her but her depressive state overtook that.

"Choc," Her cellie said looking down at her. "You not hungry?"

"Why would I be hungry?" Naala mumbled with her eyes still closed.

"Because you haven't eaten all week," Cindy said in a matter of fact tone. "Neither have you slept,"

"I miss my babies," Naala whispered with tears coming down her face.

"It's been two years, get over it," Cindy said to her. "You're never getting out, either get used to it or you're gonna drive yourself crazy,"

Naala ignored her and sniffed, turning over to face her wall. She had been in Lincoln for 2 years with no contact with her family. It was killing Naala slowly and she could feel it.

"Sinai," Naala said lowly, trying to imagine her face. She started to imagine what they would all look like, would they know who she was or what she looked like.

"Chocolate, you got your session," A CO banged on the door making Naala open her eyes.

"I don't need it," Naala said quietly, so quiet that it almost wasn't heard.

"Your crazy ass needs it, get up," He ordered entering their cell. Naala sucked in a breath and swung her feet out of the bunk.

"Don't let them break you down," Cindy said connecting eyes with Naala. "Stay strong," She whispered with a smile.

Naala didn't understand what she meant so she just left the room letting him handcuff her. The guard dragged her to where she met with her mental health advisor every week.

For two years she hadn't spoken in those sessions but it was getting harder and harder.

"Naala please sit," The advisor said pointing to the couch.

She noticed that her usual advisor was not the one who stood infront of her. But Naala didn't speak, she never spoke.

"He told me he couldn't get through to you, so I decided to have a go," The woman smiled making Naala uncomfortable. It was like she read Naala's mind.

"Why are you here?" The woman started looking up at Naala.

Naala shrugged and kept her mouth shut, playing with the sleeve of her jumper.

"You don't want to talk?" She questioned staring at Naala who ignored her, looking out the window to the yard.

"I didn't think you would," The woman said taking a cassette and putting it into the audio player. "Maybe this will help,"

"Hey mommy, it's me," Sinai's voice rang through the room. Naala's head immediately popped up and her eyes welled with tears.

"I miss you mommy and I want you to come home," Sinai's voice message continued. "Why did you leave us? Why didn't you stay?" Her voice broke.