37

The study had became my place since I arrived. The smell of the books relaxing me as I sat in the cushioned chair Patrick had placed in the corner of the room while my eyes read over

Pride and Prejudice By Jane Austen

Never having read it before today. And when my phone rang I dropped the book like it was on fire and hurriedly answered.

"Patrick?"

" Hello Red"

He sounded tired. But it felt so good hearing his voice. The knot in my stomach loosened ever so slightly, but seemed to spasm as he let out a round of painful curses on his end.

"Patrick? What's wrong? Patrick?"

"I'm ok Red. Just ran into some vamps here and one got the jump on me. I'm fine"

"You don't sound fine"

"Hold still"

The voice I didn't recognize. It sounded a lot older and almost.... familiar.

"Ow, Son of a bitch!"

I drew the phone from ear at his shouting. Panic rose and I began to pace the room to try and keep it at bay. It wasnt helping.

"Patrick you're scaring me.."

"Got it-"

"Patrick! What is going on?"

All my calmness went out the window. My voice shook and my breathing picked up.

"I fell out of a window, a piece of glass got lodged into my shoulder so I got help getting it out. I'm ok. I promise I'm ok"

His voice was soft and soothing but it did nothing to calm me down. He could have gotten a lot worse than glass in his shoulder. And I knew he knew it to.

"When are you coming home?"

I wanted to tell him to come home now. But I couldn't ask that of him. It was selfish.

"Soon baby. We are to check out another lead and our new source then I will see you before noon tomorrow. Red?"

I was focusing my breathing trying to calm myself down. He sounded so much worse than he let on and it had me worried and scared. I didn't want him to hear my panic. I didn't want him to worry about me.

I could do this.

"Red? Red talk to me"

"I need a minute"

I sat the phone down and rested my hands on the desk. Closing my eyes tightly and trying to focus on anything else that didn't involve hearing him hurt or resulting of something more permanent.

And when I was sure I wouldn't break out into a full panic attack I picked the phone back up.

"Ok, I'm here"

"What happened are you ok?"

"No, but I will be when you're not hurt and home"

We went on a few more minutes before he had to go. Promising he'd see me soon.

When the call ended I turned just as the door opened and Ferrah stood there with a look of pure Malice as she looked at me with her arms crossed.

I really wasn't In the right mind space to deal with her right not.

In my attempt to walk past her I had just stepped foot into the hall before she grabbed my arm turning me and in doing so shoving me against the hallway. Standing less than a foot infront of me her hands on either side, encasing me in.