5

"Here are your discharge papers, work excuse and care directions on how to clean your bandages. Now be sure to call or come in if any serious dizziness or headaches occur an no strenuous activity until your completely healed. Do you have any questions for me?"

I looked down at the papers Dr. Murphy had handed me. I had spent two more days in the hospital for observation and now I was finally released to go back to the great town of Avery.

"No. Thank you"

I sat on the bed in the sweat pants and hoodie that Rebecca had brought me. Since I was able to finally shower.

The clothes smelled like patrick. I wondered if they were seeing how big they were on me.

My old clothes were ruined and had ended up in the trash. Luckily my shoes had survived.

"Do you want a ride home?"

I smelled him coming down the hall. He didnt come any further into the room, instead he leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed. An unreadable look on his face his chin held high. However  i did notice the slump of his shoulders.

Hes been coming by a lot for the past two days. To keep me company so I wasn't alone in the quiet hospital room. Hed come early and leave just before dinner. Then he'd come back with home cooked dinner.

It was great better than quick and easy.

"Home... right um..."

I didn't really have a home. Drew just offered me a place to stay while I worked at the store and I was sure after a four day no show I was out of a job. I also believed a roof over someone's head doesn't make a home and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to the Pink Lotus. I didn't really want to get attacked again.

"Sarah?"

"Right yeah. I don't- I don't know if I still have a place to go. Drew.. my boss has a spare room she uses for employees. Seeing it's just her and myself. But after four days I'm not sure if I have a place, yet alone a job I'll have to call I guess"

I looked up at him. A small smile on my face while folding the papers up and placed them in my pocket.

" I'll figure it out I-"

"Stay with me"

He said it so fast I had to make sure I heard it right. He then cleared his throat and crossed his arms.

"I mean, if you want to you can stay with me"

I couldn't deny how sweet the offer was. Since I could possibly be out of job and a place to stay. Though as sweet as the offer was I hardly knew the man. Then again it was no different in becoming roommates with my boss who I knew in less time.

" Thank you but I should really find out first before..."

" Yes of course. I understand the offer will always stand"

And I appreciated that more than he knew. 

And a day later that's how I came to be standing outside of the beautiful three story farm house. The flowers were in full bloom and the big oak tree in the front yard casted a shadow along porch that gave it a cool feeling in the mid day heat.

I was being ridiculous though. Even when I came into the strange town I had caught looks from all directions. Some curious and weary.

I had even been stopped before even entering the town.

The town was small itself. But had quite the excitement. Aside from the small hospital the town had a few stores and a small school the rest were all housing.

It was odd. Even though Patrick had given the directions, I couldn't find any reference to the town beside the piece of paper in my hand.

It had been further away from Avery than I had thought and that made me wonder how I survived a trip to their hospital.

Second guessing myself I turned from the door mid knock and began my way to the stairs.

"You must be Sarah?"

The voice stopped me in my tracks. There was no way I could chicken out now and when I turned to face the voice I was met with the same eyes as Patrick. Only the women's hair was lighter and her face was more defined. She was a natural beauty that was for sure l.

"Yeah sorry I... hello"

"No need to apologize Patrick told us everything. I'd be nervous to. Want to come in?"

Here was my chance to chicken out even further. Looking back at my car then to the women opening her door to me...

"Yes thank you"

The house was spacious inside. The walls a neutral sandy color with pictures lining the walls. The staircase was welcoming as soon as we walked in. The living room and open kitchen to the right of it then to left was family room and down the halls was an opening that led into the kitchen and two more doors from it.

I've never been in such a space before.

" Your home is beautiful"

"Thank you. We designed it when I was pregnant with Patrick. Of course he's added his touch to it but above all it is the same. I'm sorry he couldn't be here to greet you something urgent came up and he couldn't ignore it.
I'm Grace by the way Patrick's mother"

I had assumed she was some relation to Patrick seeing some feature similarities but she seemed so much younger that I didn't assume mother

"Its nice to meet you. Thank you for letting me come here"

I had been right when I had called drew and even more so when I arrived at the apartment to find I not only been fired for four missing days but I had also been evicted.

Her words being "I run a business not a.shelter. you don't work here anymore therefore I'm offering the room to someone who does"

It didn't matter that I had been in the hospital. Drew was like that and so the first thought to mind was Patrick's offer the day before.

"Its no problem really. Patrick told us he had opened our home to you and we couldn't be happier to have an extra women in the house. All these men are beginning to drive me crazy. I'm ma-married to one and gave birth to the other. The rest eat all the cereal. Do you have a big family?"

There was humor in her voice and love in her eyes. The smile brightened them even more. Telling me she loved it. I tried not to let her question change my mood so I smiled through it.

" No. I was in foster care and group homes up until after I turned sixteen"

And there was the anxiety.

"Oh I'm sorry to hear that"

"I-Its ok it's over with"

" well enough about that I don't want to make you uncomfortable, let me show you around and to your room"

She didn't bring up anymore questions that may have made me uncomfortable. She told me about her family and encouraged me to tell her some about myself. I did of course not wanting to be rude but was sure to leave out some details.

It was amazing how comfortable I had gotten and how my anxiety had diminished.

But I wondered how temporary this would be as I unpacked my bag in the bedroom given to me.