14

I tried holding one back as it tried harder to sink its teeth in me. The glass had crunched more under my weight while I held one off of me while another dug at my legs in an attempt to pull me from the other.

Even when I got up after discarding one of them the other took that as an opportunity to grab me while pushing me up against the wall. Its hand on my throat and its undead eyes boring into mine. Bright and chilling.

"Get to the basement!"

Devin shouted once he tore the creature off of me while Andrew and Grace came standing in front of me at the same time fighting their own monsters.

In the basement was a cellar. One of three in the territory. Patrick mentioned such precautions were made to ensure extra safety if needed.

I was about to do as I was told when a loud cry rang out stopping me in my tracts.

Behind me Devin had just pulled the vampire from his mates shoulder and snapping its neck in the process.
I was by her side in an instant. Helping while Devin tried keeping them away from her. Snapping another's neck while ripping the others heart out.

Attempt to slow the bleeding while her healing kicked in I applied pressure until the bleeding ceased to come through my fingers.

The door to the basement was blocked. There wasn't a way to make it down without more blood shed.

Andrew grabbed me by the arm while Devin done the same. Shoving us behind their backs towards the broken window.

"Run!"

Knowing they were behind us. We didn't have to be told twice.

Where had they come from? As much as I wondered I wasn't about to stop and ask one of them.

"Son of a bitch!"

I looked back just in time to see Andrew go down by one of them face down onto the ground while the other angrily clawed at his back. No matter what he did the creature would budge.

I didn't know if it was stupid but I didnt give myself time to think before I ran and tackled the thing off of him.

I had landed on the creature in a straddling position holding its arms that came at me and it began snapping at me. Until I gave way and I was the one on the bottom.

A stick then poked through its chest causing its dark sticky churned blood to stick to me.

I didn't have time to thank him before we took off in the earlier direction.

"Stay close we shouldn't be to far"

He spoke effortlessly while I tried to keep up through our sprint.

I wasn't sure how long we were running before I was grabbed and began to be dragged by the ankle.

I screamed. Trying to grab a root or trunk of a tree to hang on to but my fingers just slipped as the thing wasn't letting me go and continued to do so even when it stopped and sunk its teeth into me.

This time it didn't get a chance to drain me dry even an inch. Only did I stop screaming when my hand shot through its chest. Causing it to fall lifeless the moment I had its heart infront of me.  All of it's dead weight knocking the air from my lungs as I struggled to get the thing off of me.

When I was able to stand up. I stood frozen. Staring down at my blood soaked arm and the dead vampire at me feet. I know I had killed one before or thought I did but I hadn't gotten a chance to react about or even see for sure. But this...

Then it seemed to burn. I wanted it off. All of it. The smell and the feel making me sick.

I killed it.

The blood stuck to me like putty. Like the kind that sticks to carpet. It wasnt coming off. Even when I picked up leaves trying to scrub it off. When it didn't I began to panic more.

"Red!"

I couldn't shout for him to signal where I was. He probably couldn't find me from the death I was now covered in. I couldn't even find my voice. I couldn't look away from the blood on my hands.

And when I felt a hand on my shoulder did I begin to scream again and tried hitting whatever it was as it quickly wrapped its arms around me to stop my attacks. Its strength to much compared to mine.

"Its me Red Its me. Your ok. It's ok"

It was then I cried. Not a silent one. A loud messy one. Patrick turned me around as I cried. Causing me to cry into his shirt.

"Is it..."

"Dead. She killed it"

Mitch spoke behind me. A tone of amazement but there was nothing to be amazed about.

"Any more?"

"A couple dozen"

" take care of them"

"Yes sir"

It was a moment before Patrick stepped back and looked at me. Over my noticeable wounds. Luckily nothing like the first time.

"Andrew is here to take you somewhere safe I need you to stay with him. I'm going to draw them away from here ok I-"

"No. No!" 

"Sarah I need you safe alright. I need you to go with Andrew. I'll come and get you when its safet do so. I promise"

He pulled me close leaving no room for discussion as he placed a gentle kiss to my head. It lingered a few seconds before he handed me over to Andrew and when I looked back he was watching me then he turned and ran towards the commotion.