Chapter 49

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

I slightly pushed off Liam's head which is lying on my chest without waking him up

I slightly pushed off Liam's head which is lying on my chest without waking him up. Today I'm going to meet Avery and this will be my last chance to try for her. I know she tried to kill Liam, but she would never do it because she did it to threaten me. And also I don't want any of them getting hurt because of me and her. I'm going to go alone to meet her. I placed Liam's head on the pillow as he snuggled into it like a kid as I quickly got ready and left a note for Liam that I'm going to meet Avery at the cafe which she mentioned in the text. I know that Liam would be mad at me, but I will convince him once I reach home. Aiden, Emily, and Lucas too would never like this idea of me meeting her. I told the bodyguards that Liam hired not to follow me, but they insisted to follow me so I sneaked out my way without knowing them.

I have an unsettled feeling in my stomach that something bad has going to happen, but I shrugged it away to the back of my mind. I was nervous and my palms sweated. I was just going to meet Avery and what could go wrong. I entered the cafe and ordered myself a drink and waited for her to come. Avery came in all her glory but with an arrogant look on her face. What made her change this much? 

"Get into the topic. I don't want to waste my time." She said shrugging off her shoulders. 

"Look, Avery. We have known each other like lifetime. I don't understand why are you bringing Liam into this and breaking our friendship like this! You are not that girl who would go obssesed over a boy that too this instant." Avery sighed irritatedly looking at me with disgust. 

"If I love him this much to go to this instant why are you still with him. Leave him. I will take care of him and cherish him. No one wants a broken girl like you, Athena!" She said making my eyes well up in tears and I didn't let them fall and I don't want to show my weakness to her.

"Shut up, Avery. I can't leave him, he is my light to the darkness and he loves me not you." I spat in spite my tone broke at last.

"He will love me when you are not there!" She said disgustedly about my existence. Why can't she just understand what I'm saying?

"Please Avery try to understand it. Liam doesn't love you." I opened my mouth to continue but she interrupted me and said, 

"Alright then, let me show you a place and you will understand why I'm doing this. It won't take long. It's so suffocating here. This where we fought for the first time." Her tone changed to somewhat soft and less disgusted. Maybe I was changing her a bit. 

"I will come with you wherever you go, you are my best friend. Let us go back to how we are. I want us to give a second chance." I said with a hint of pleading as she sighed as we stepped outside to go to the place she wanted to show me. Something in me warned me not to go with her and waited for Liam to show up here. But I disconnected everything and we walked to a corner where there were few people and it looked dirty. I wondered why she wants me to go there. That's when everything fell into darkness. Someone filled the chloroform in my nose as I struggled to get out of their hold. I managed to look at the face to see Preston was holding me with the dirty smirk on his face. I fell into complete darkness. Avery's betrayal did something to me again and I shouldn't have trusted her.